Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outlook IMAP server UID error

Bibliophage is offline Member

I can confirm that this is a problem with 7.1.0_GA_3140.FOSS.

I have a customer with thirty people now accessing Zimbra. Two of them, in the same office, are having the UID issue.

One is Outlook 2010, the other is Outlook 2003. Both keep reporting the error. Here's an example.

MsgSeqNum 108, New UID 8404. Prev UID: 8404, Next UID: 0.
    Protocol: IMAP
    Server: mail.<domain name>.net
    Port: 993
    Error Code: 0x800CCCDC

As you can see, the 'Next UID:' seems to always be zero.

The 'microsoft answer' of 'it's the server problem, but delete your profile and recreate it' didn't fix this issue on either computer. (both deleting the IMAP account, and deleting the entire profile). In fact, it came back as soon as the next new email came in.

The Office 2010 machine is running Trend Micro Titanium, on Windows 7 Professional. The Office 2003 PC is running ClamAV for windows, with an Outlook plugin, on XP Professional. (115 megabytes of memory use just for the plugin. Sheesh). Trend Micro Titanium does not appear to have an active 'add-in' in Outlook 2010.

To reproduce the problem in Outlook 2010, I simply wait for the next email, or hit F9 and watch the "synchronizing subscribed folders for ..." for a bit. This is a slow process. (several minutes) and is terminated by the UID error.

The customer is NOT happy with Zimbra right now.

I did a bit more browsing around, and one 'solution' online suggested moving all the items from 'sent' to a temporary folder, then moving them back.

I've done this, and now can report that it does NOT necessarily fix the problem. Upon synchronizing the folders, the sync fails when it hits something that triggers off the UID problem.

Aaaaand... one more.

Synchronizing Subscribed Folders Issue - Microsoft Answers

By following the instructions in there, I changed the send/receive behavior to just the Inbox, and told it to download everything including attachments.

I've hit send and receive three times. No huge UID error message, and fast synchronization.

So, apparently there's something goofy about the way Zimbra is storing emails in one of the various sub-folders. That's why the 'move things from sent' works for some people (the person who posted it, for example). Once the files are moved, it's resorted the UID's.

A a workaround fix for this might be a way to 'pop' the affected IMAP account on the server, causing Zimbra to, in effect, move all the emails to another folder, then back.

I haven't tried it with Outlook 2003 yet. I suspect it won't be as easy.

BW

markd is offline Intermediate Member

Default Same problem

Using 7.1.0_GA_3140.F11_20110329135310.

This problem just started. We are using Outlook 2010. It is possible the previous discussion is correct. We just started to use the Web interface and
    switch back and forth depending on location.

Never had this problem with Zimbra V5, V6. though, we hardly used
    the web interface like now.

This might help in debugging the problem.

I have been trying really hard to get off Outlook, but it's really difficult.
    Last edited by markd; 06-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.

You might also try reindexing the email account, if you can keep them out of it long enough.

I don't know if it will make a difference or not.

Update: Another Outlook 2003 system spontaneously started spitting out this same message, after using the Zimbra Desktop immediately beforehand.

This is looking more and more like a Zimbra Desktop contamination issue, where it's mangling a UID that nothing other than outlook even looks at.

rotorboy is offline Special Member

I've just upgraded from 6.0.10 to 7.1.1 and now here we go:

Your server reported a UID that does not comply with IMAP standards. This typically indicates a server bug.

Your program may not function properly after this.

MSGSEQNUM 253, New UID 44918.
    Prev UID: 44918, Next UID: 0
    Protocol IMAP
    Server mail.OURDOMAIN.com
    Port 993
    Error code 0x800cccdc
    Oh, I'm not sure if there'd be any relationship here, but I'm not able to use Zimbra Desktop since upgrading either:
    Zimbra Desktop cannot connect
    Last edited by rotorboy; 06-22-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added URL to Zimbra Desktop issue.

Okay - from this old posting at Microsoft's web site,

OL2002&#58; Error Message&#58; &#34;Your Server Has Reported a UID Which Does Not Comply with the IMAP Standard&#34;

It looks to be a glitch when multiple accounts are configured in Outlook, including the IMAP. Such as if you were TRYING to do a MIGRATION from an Exchange Server 2007 and higher which doesn't have an acceptable migration method to Zimbra. (At least, not that works over a slow connection separated by 2000 miles. I tried imapsync - forget it. Microsoft did their best to contaminate 2007).

So, we know it's _only_ Outlook, right? Does anyone else see this problem with multiple accounts in Outlook? Anyone who sees it with the only account being Outlook?

Another possibility. Another site, the user reported that they got it when they'd marked an email for deletion, and a new email came in before purging the deleted email.

I will say that I've _never_ seen this with Courier-IMAP on the other servers that I have configured. Only on Zimbra.

Additional information from SmartMail forums

Outlook 2007 and SM 4.2 enterprise imap issue

One client with Outlook 2010, I was able to make the problem vanish by disabling active syncing with anything but the inbox. That's next to impossible to do with older Outlook versions. So, it may be the sheer quantity of emails in the mailboxes. That still doesn't solve the 'only with Zimbra' issue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information