Thread: Email import and archiving

frankchavez is offline Trained Alumni

Default Email import and archiving

We're about to begin switching users from Outlook (POP3S/TLS SMTP) to Zimbra web client or Outlook with the connector. The emails being switched have email archiving enabled. We need to import their old emails and for them to go into the archive. I have searched around the forums and have not seen any solutions.

Is imapsync still the only way to take care of this?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by frankchavez View Post
    Is imapsync still the only way to take care of this?
    From another mail server, yes it's the simplest and most effective way. If that's not the case then where are you importing the mail from?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

rsebastian is offline Starter Member

try this.. i use mailstore home edition (free edition), tugzip(freeware), win 7 homeprem, msoutlook 2007, vmware zimbra desktop 7. and i want to migrate from ms outlook to zimbra (there should be no problem for calendar and contact, but for message there are a lot of trial and error if u dont want to use imap sync)

first use mailstore to create an archive from ur outlook .pst then after u complete create the archieve, export it to file (select .eml file) and put it to an easy to remember folder (desktop for me).

You will have .eml file of your outlook categories in folders (inbox, sent, and your personal folder) right click each folder --> add to archieve (using tugzip) and make .tgz archieve (inbox.tgz, sent.tgz, personal folder.tgz)
    ps: must be .tgz and not .tar.gz

viola, zimbra desktop will recognize .tgz file as an importable file.

i successfully migrate from outlook to zimbra desktop using this method, i've got this idea after trying to export zimbra email to file (zimbra desktop create a .tgz file contain .eml files (nevermind the .meta file we dont need it in this case))

if there is another way to migrate from outlook to zimbra please let me know

frankchavez is offline Trained Alumni

I should have specified. It is the same email server. Currently we have a large number of users who use Outlook. They connect using POP3S and SMTP TLS. Outlook was setup on all of them to pull the email off the server.
    Also we have only had the Network Edition for a little over a year now. We had been using the Open Source Edition for about 4 years. Archiving was barely turned on about a year ago.
    We need to import the user's current PST file and have everything go into their archive account as well. I searched around the forums and other people mentioned using imapsync to accomplish this.
    This post mentions it as well: Adding existing accounts to archive

Wisdom4U is offline Starter Member

Here is my experience.
    Mailstore did have Outlook but not Outlook Express (OE) listed as a Email client. So instead I used Email Files, Directory File system to create an archive.
    I see emails in mailstore so this seemed to have worked.
    Are the emails in a mailstore archive meant to show up in folders or any indication of the folders they were previously in? I am not seeing this.
    The export from mailstore results in many files (eg. message-1-4.eml) and there is no indication of folder names.
    Tried to see if ZD might now be importing .eml files. No error and no confirmation of importing xxxx.eml.
    Does ZD report a successful .tgz import?
    Any way to determine where the emails imported are located?

Thanks in advance for your help

Quote Originally Posted by rsebastian View Post
    try this.. i use mailstore home edition (free edition), tugzip(freeware), win 7 homeprem, msoutlook 2007, vmware zimbra desktop 7. and i want to migrate from ms outlook to zimbra (there should be no problem for calendar and contact, but for message there are a lot of trial and error if u dont want to use imap sync)

first use mailstore to create an archive from ur outlook .pst then after u complete create the archieve, export it to file (select .eml file) and put it to an easy to remember folder (desktop for me).

You will have .eml file of your outlook categories in folders (inbox, sent, and your personal folder) right click each folder --> add to archieve (using tugzip) and make .tgz archieve (inbox.tgz, sent.tgz, personal folder.tgz)
    ps: must be .tgz and not .tar.gz

viola, zimbra desktop will recognize .tgz file as an importable file.

i successfully migrate from outlook to zimbra desktop using this method, i've got this idea after trying to export zimbra email to file (zimbra desktop create a .tgz file contain .eml files (nevermind the .meta file we dont need it in this case))

if there is another way to migrate from outlook to zimbra please let me know

Thread Information