Thread: Use ZImbra as a Smarthost ?

jpaul is offline Starter Member

Default Use ZImbra as a Smarthost ?

Can Zimbra be configured to be a smarthost and relay mail for a domain ?

I have a Zimbra server that is setup and working great, but have a coworker that is doing his Microsoft Exchange cert and he would like to have a domain that can forward mail to his dynamic ip (which will have exchange listening on)

so is there a way to tell zimbra that it will be relaying mail for domain abz.com to host.dynamicip.com ?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jpaul View Post
    Can Zimbra be configured to be a smarthost and relay mail for a domain ?

I have a Zimbra server that is setup and working great, but have a coworker that is doing his Microsoft Exchange cert and he would like to have a domain that can forward mail to his dynamic ip (which will have exchange listening on)

so is there a way to tell zimbra that it will be relaying mail for domain abz.com to host.dynamicip.com ?
    Read the wiki article on Split Domain.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

spectra is offline Special Member

Very good article and it actually works.

I have this question then phoenix.

How would you take that same approach and use an alternate port, 587 instead of 25 ?

This is important to the community I because although not recommended many ppl do use dynamic IPs to run simple servers. Once they get their Dynamic DNS stuff working they sure do.

Now we see many ISPs not allowing outbound email via port 25 unless you authenticate with the ISPs specific account. You end up with all the emails outbound being stacked in the deferred queue.

I can say personally, I've used that article to guide me and have had success until recently. My ISP adopted that policy and I had to use my ISP's login to make zimbra work. Changing the port from 25 to 587 didn't work. I saw in the logs that mail.server.tld without the port 587. I run my mail server so I also saw that no traffic ever came over to my actual outbound server from the zimbra server. I saw the message got deferred in zimbra.

As tated once I plugged in ISPs smtp info and authenticated, off all the emails went.

What say you or others TIA

Labsy is offline Elite Member

Sending via port 587 would involve TKIM implementation, so I suggest you use port 465 instead of 25 on client side. It is not blocked and client should select SSL security for outgoing mail.

The downside is:
    if you have multiple domains, you should either buy commercial SSL certificate for each "mail.domain.com" FQDN, or users would need to click "Ok, I agree to use this server's SSL certificate" each time they start their Outlook or whatever

Beside that, sending out via SSL and port 465 works fine, and this port is not blocked by most of ISP. And not to forget - Zimbra supports it by default - just make sure port 465 is opened and routed on your router/firewall in front of zimbra server (if you have router/firewall)

Thread Information