Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Java CPU usage question

stasouv is offline Active Member

As we had an issue with Java going bad after an upgrade, it turned out the upgraded release was so old that some of the components had been gone and some new arrived.

Java components are in lib folders, and Java loads the folder, not the component, thus old components were loading as well.

So by chance, we browsed into lib, zimlet, bin folders and found modules that aged back to the installation of the previous release.

Backing those up in a safe location, then deleting them from the folders and restarting zimbra solved the issue.

Well, I should also mention that the upgrade was from 5.0.11 NE to 7.1.4 OpenSource, so some modules remained belonged to the NE, but I think not all...

Java going bad before the update was most certainly due to corrupt mailbox database.

mrcoffee11 is offline Senior Member

Thnx for the reply, that's a new one for me on how java works.
    I took a look at the java files and I think I am not having the same issue as you, it must be something else for me. Also because I did a clean 7.1.4 install on Centos and still have these issues.
    Last edited by mrcoffee11; 02-21-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    FC11 x64 / Centos 6.2 - Zimbra 7.2.0 Open Source version - ESX 5.0

bofh is offline Elite Member

Actually i can confirm Ubuntus Problems with IO specially within a virtualized Enviroment.

i font knwo if thats the source of your problems but ubuntu defently has a problem there ever since.

(this is btw why i dont understand the support of ubuntu but not debian - i still think ubuntu isnt suiteable as an productive server enviroment...)

Anyway - we made a lot of IO tests on different machines
    we also made a comparision with identical guest - one with debian one with ubuntu with a absolute minimum install (guest config absolute ident)
    host machine wasnt under anykind of load on all the tests

turns out ubuntu perfoms between 30% up to 150% slower on hdd benchmarks
    no matter if you test on ext3 or ext4

its also slower (10-45%) on network io - depending if the guest is bridged or used by nat

specially buttlerfly reads where way slower

i already postet severy bugreports at ubuntus websites still no real reaction

Conclusion: It does work for me somehow ATM and i just hope they solve those issues - for me ubuntu even LTS releases are not a regular productive enviroment but for zimbra the only alternative to redhat (since centos has its own troubles) - anything else i ride on debian or ,if a have to, on redhat

Thnks for sharing the information. It's not satisfying there are no real replies on the bug reports.

I use Fedora and Centos. Every edition I had the issue that some jobs were taking a lot of CPU every 2 to 5 minutes, not I/O. I was able to adjust the cron jobs or change time intervals to prevent this. So I got a Zimbra installation with a very low CPU usage.

Since my upgrade from 7.0.0 to 7.1.4 there is some job that runs every 120 to 140 seconds that takes 90% to 100% CPU time for about ten seconds. Al I can see is a java proces and sometimes a zmlogctrl command in TOP. I can not find the command to change this interval.

Described it here: CPU High Spikes around every 2 minutes ZSC 7.1.4

bw4ever is offline Starter Member

Hi all.
    Please, tell what i can do to lower cpu usage on physical server. After start, zimbra generates more and more of java processes.
    server:
    quad xeon, 8gb ram, raid10
    os version:
    Linux mail1.domain.ru 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri May 20 03:51:51 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)
    zimbra version:
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL6_64_20120105094542 CentOS6_64 FOSS edition.
    After a 2-3 days of uptime java processes consume almost all cpu time. This is not I\O problem, hdd utilisation near 5%

jpctx is offline New Member

There any updates to this - having same issue.

Kernel is offline Member

I am on 7.2.0 with patch 1 it is same issue high CPU load and server slow respond, There are any update ??? or any patch from Zimbra team ???
    Zimbra 7.2.0 on Dell R710| Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64, 8 GB. RAM, Dual Quad Xeon, 4X146 GB. SAS.
    Zimbra install as Multi Server MTA. & LDAP.+Mailbox server
    Zimbra install as VM on ESXi 5

Only solution for me was a complete new install and migrate the mailboxes. Yeah I know, this is really no solution.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
    I am on 7.2.0 with patch 1 it is same issue high CPU load and server slow respond,
    have you tried some of the tuning techniques listed in these forums or the wiki? There is even a "Solved" link in this thread, did you bother reading that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
    There are any update ??? or any patch from Zimbra team ???
    Is there any bug report for this 'issue'? Without a bug report and full diagnostic information then there will be no investigation nor fix.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

bhwong is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by stasouv View Post
    As we had an issue with Java going bad after an upgrade, it turned out the upgraded release was so old that some of the components had been gone and some new arrived.

Java components are in lib folders, and Java loads the folder, not the component, thus old components were loading as well.

So by chance, we browsed into lib, zimlet, bin folders and found modules that aged back to the installation of the previous release.

Backing those up in a safe location, then deleting them from the folders and restarting zimbra solved the issue.

Well, I should also mention that the upgrade was from 5.0.11 NE to 7.1.4 OpenSource, so some modules remained belonged to the NE, but I think not all...

Java going bad before the update was most certainly due to corrupt mailbox database.
    Hi Stasouv,

Please share where are the Java components in the lib folders that we can move out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information