Thread: Standby Server

jackietomson is offline Junior Member

Default Standby Server

Hello people,
    I have a zimbra open source edition. I wish to install a backup server in another location. I also intend to add an MX record with a lower priority to the standby server. My goal is to have emails routed to this standby sever if my main server is to go down. But my concerns are
    # If my server comes back up, will it sync with the standby for the emails routed to it automatically.
    #How will users access their mails for the period it is down since the mail.domain.com points to the main server.
    Hoping on you guys input

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jackietomson View Post
    Hello people,
    I have a zimbra open source edition. I wish to install a backup server in another location. I also intend to add an MX record with a lower priority to the standby server. My goal is to have emails routed to this standby sever if my main server is to go down. But my concerns are
    # If my server comes back up, will it sync with the standby for the emails routed to it automatically.
    #How will users access their mails for the period it is down since the mail.domain.com points to the main server.
    Hoping on you guys input
    You really don't want to do this unless you're prepared for a spam onslaught nor the work involved in maintaining a second server. I'd suggest you use a professional service that provides a Backup MX for your server, they maintain it and get rid of spam and forward mail when your server is back on-line. There are also companies that provide a free backup mx server as part of another server (such as a DNS Hosting provider), one such company and one that I use is EasyDNS - they host my DNS records and provide the backup mx, if my server is unavailable they hold the mail for up-to five days and when the server is back on-line they forward it to me. No extra server for me to maintain, no extra work and it's in with a relatively inexpensive service. I'm not associated with that company except as an extremely happy user of their service.

There are other companies that provide that type of service, do an internet search for them.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jackietomson is offline Junior Member

thanks alot

Thread Information