View Poll Results: What spam solution are you using with Zimbra?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Postini

0 0%
  • Mailscanner

1 6.67%
  • ASSP

1 6.67%
  • Zimbra (built in or customized)

13 86.67%
  • Barricade

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: What are you using for Spam?

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Default Poll: What are you using for Spam?

I have found that Zimbra's install of SpamAssassin hasn't been doing as good of a job as it used to. I have some custom rules set up, but I don't want to customize it too much because it becomes a pain to continuously update it on every upgrade.

I also had medicore results with MailScanner. Wasn't much better than Zimbra's built in.

What's everyone else using? How do you like it?

This is simply a poll, with any comments you have about past/current solutions you're using. I'd like to hear!

Thanks
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

bdial is offline Moderator

sophos puremessage

dipeshmehta is offline Special Member

I have been using Zimbra's built-in spam control with customization for spamassassin rules. I checked and reviewed incoming spam mails for more than one month with help of all users in my organization, and customized spamassassin rules based on those. Now incoming spam ratio has been decreased satisfactorily. Still need to learn more about customization to get the rid of spams.

Dipesh

ewilen is offline Moderator

For me the most important part of using SA is to supplement with scoring for additional blacklists. I also put a few very conservative (low FP) blacklists in the MTA blacklist section.

Today I just enabled DSPAM: Using DSPAM for Spam Filtering - Zimbra :: Wiki

I'm starting with a factor of 0.1 while DSPAM trains up (see wiki for how to do this).

If I need to do more, I may try Razor/Pyzor/DCC as described in Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki. A while back I played around with ASSP, which I thought worked pretty well, but given the mail system in use at the time, I'm not sure my users could have been trained to submit false positives/negatives to it properly. With Zimbra, I think it would be easier, but I haven't been strongly motivated to try to make it work.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

What's everyone else using? How do you like it?
    We've been using ASSP for a number of years. When we moved to Zimbra, we disabled SA. I like it alot, very configurable and has responsive developers.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

MartBrooks is offline Member

We use ourselves - http://antibodyMX.net/

We also filter for a handful of other companies with Zimbra installs. I can't say if they don't want the load on their server or if they think we do a better job.
    Last edited by MartBrooks; 05-29-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Clarify what I mean by "ourselves"

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Doug -

Did you have to do much tweaking to minimize false negatives and false positives, or was yours set up straight out of the box?
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

lytledd is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    Doug -

Did you have to do much tweaking to minimize false negatives and false positives, or was yours set up straight out of the box?
    When we started using it, we had an announced 3 month training period, where the software was put into training mode (It would tag and log, but still let spam though).

The end users were given instructions on what email addresses to use to correct the incorrect tagging. After this training period, we took it out of training mode.

it's not 100%, but it does a very good job.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Klug is offline Moderator

We're using MailCleaner OSE - MailCleaner OpenSource Edition Forum • Index page
    Setup with TrustedSources, SpamClam, PreRBL, URIBL and Spamc.
    Greylisting helps (obviously) but is a pain (one DB per host, even in cluster mode).
    Can also be trained (through IMAP) to learn, for bayesian filtering.

Works nicely enough for me for the price (free beside the servers/bandwidth): never more than 3 spam per day in my Inbox.
    And is full of reports (domain admins love reports) 8))

Can be setup per domain for quarantaine or drop or delivery.
    In delivery mode, works very nicely with a single rule in ZCS' SpamAssassin (all other rules removed) in order to deliver the tagged messages in "Spam" folder.

We also had excellent results with IronPort (well, some of our rich customers, not us 8)).

btriem is offline Active Member

We use an anti-virus/anti-spam gateway solution that utilizes haproxy, postfix with postscreen, postgrey, mailscanner and spamassassin. All parts equal and free. You can use mailwatch or baruwa for a front end for mailscanner. Both are well done but baruwa is doing quite well with popularity.

HAProxy is a great loadbalancing solution for postfix, but requires postfix 2.8 or greater. If you use ubuntu LTS, centos or RHEL, you will need to upgrade your postfix install.

We also utilize a couple commercial RBL's at the postfix smtp connect(spamhaus, invaluement) and several free RBL's(spamcop, barracuda, etc.) are used during the spam detection phase in MailScanner. Spamcop and barracuda can be risky so that is why we place those lookups in MailScanner. You can apply rules to how email is handled if it is caught by these RBL's vs. outright blocking them.

Having said all this, it will require monitoring and tweaking to be the most affective in your environment.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information