Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server status and statistics

bcpraha is offline Junior Member

Default Server status and statistics

When I log into Zimbra Admin, the system reports all services as down (red crosses all around), it won't show us any statistics at all, but otherwise everything works and there are no problems at all.

There were no problems at all right after installation and configuration of ZCS. Everything started when we migrated 1st wave of user mails (this 1st wave was just plain copy and paste in favorite client). We did no configuration changes during the migration (perhaps few changes in distribution lists meberships etc, but no core configuration).

I did some digging, but no suggested solution worked so far. The things I tried

http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Logger(GnR) - All steps described at the end of the article show lot of information, but no errors or any misconfiguration in the texts.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...available.html - I tried the zmsyslogsetup, no help there. zmfixperms said it's changing permissions on few files, but status is still the same after restart.

I also checked all logs I could find, but again nothing really interesting which could be the cause of this problem. Only error I was able to find were some postfix warnings about wrong file ownership (which i guess was fixed with the zmfixperms script).

Anyone have some tips on what I could try?

fyd
    fyd is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcpraha View Post
    When I log into Zimbra Admin, the system reports all services as down (red crosses all around), it won't show us any statistics at all, but otherwise everything works and there are no problems at all.

There were no problems at all right after installation and configuration of ZCS. Everything started when we migrated 1st wave of user mails (this 1st wave was just plain copy and paste in favorite client). We did no configuration changes during the migration (perhaps few changes in distribution lists meberships etc, but no core configuration).

I did some digging, but no suggested solution worked so far. The things I tried

http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Logger(GnR) - All steps described at the end of the article show lot of information, but no errors or any misconfiguration in the texts.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...available.html - I tried the zmsyslogsetup, no help there. zmfixperms said it's changing permissions on few files, but status is still the same after restart.

I also checked all logs I could find, but again nothing really interesting which could be the cause of this problem. Only error I was able to find were some postfix warnings about wrong file ownership (which i guess was fixed with the zmfixperms script).

Anyone have some tips on what I could try?
    bcpraha, your answered is definitely in this forum. It was sorted out many times, there are some checks that you need to do to get this back.

For a quick breather. Check if your zimbraLogHostname is set correctly. This should be the hostname of the server where logger service is installed. Try this command
    su - zimbra
    zmprov -l gcf zimbraLogHostname

If it is set wrong, correct it with this command 'zmprov -l mcf zimbraLogHostname servername'.
    Then run this script as root "/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsyslogsetup". Make sure you restart your stats service with su - zimbra; zmstatctl stop; zmstatctl start. I hope this helps.

Thanks for answer, but I already stumbled upon this tip and the host name is correct. The script you suggested didn't help me either. I already searched through these forums and tried most of suggested actions.

I noticed strange behaviour. When I let ZCS restart, it says it's shutting down all services (all 9 of them), even though we have only MTA, LDAP, logger and mailbox enabled.

fyd

Quote Originally Posted by bcpraha View Post
    I noticed strange behaviour. When I let ZCS restart, it says it's shutting down all services (all 9 of them), even though we have only MTA, LDAP, logger and mailbox enabled.
    Yeah they are services that make an ZCS Installed along with the above options. Perfectly all right.

fyd

What about the certs and mailqueue from admin console? Working fine?

Is it a multi server setup? with standalone mailbox servers.

Quote Originally Posted by fyd View Post
    Yeah they are services that make an ZCS Installed along with the above options. Perfectly all right.
    Ok, good to know. I just wasn't sure how can it shutdown services which are not started

Quote Originally Posted by fyd View Post
    What about the certs and mailqueue from admin console? Working fine?

Is it a multi server setup? with standalone mailbox servers.
    We have single server setup with external relay.

Mail queues seem to work fine. We don't have lot of traffic, so it's empty most of time, but I used it couple of days back and it was displaying messages stuck in queue.

Certificate management also works fine. We didn't use it for commercial certificate import though, but it is displaying certificate infos and I can generate CSR etc.

It's just the status of services and server statistics which are not working. I checked the /var/log/zimbra-stats.log and as far as I know this log get filled with proper information as it should. We use syslog on our server, it's started and should be configured properly (Zimbra items are in configuration).
    Last edited by bcpraha; 03-17-2011 at 02:53 AM.

fyd

Okay. Is your host entries correct in /etc/hosts file? Please post the details from the file here.

Hosts file contains these entries:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.x.x bcph-zcs-lp1.protect.sharp.bcpraha.com bcph-zcs-lp1

FQDN which is assigned to IP address is correct and it's resolvable by our DNS. It's the name which ZCS uses as server hostname and it matches the zimbraLogHostname parameter.

heiko h. is offline Junior Member

Hi at all,

in my case the crontab of the zimbra-user was totaly empty.
    I just recovered zimbras cronjobs from my testserver and now everything works fine...

Good luck, Heiko.

rojoblandino is offline Intermediate Member

Same problem but i solved it:

1) I am using debian lenny using following zimbra version: Release 7.1.1_GA_3196.DEBIAN5 DEBIAN5 FOSS edition.
    2) After moving to another clean server installation, averything work fine but gui admin status all green stop buttons.
    3) I followed the /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsyslogsetup procedure
    4) I followed the /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms procedure

Then nothing happened, but then i got an idea like a light and i did following check:

5) ls -l /var/spool/cron/crontabs/
    founding something like this:
    -rw------- 1 10254 crontab 3151 ago 27 03:17 zimbra

6) I doubt about this perms and then i check my old server and found this file under zimbra user authority so i run as root of course:
    chown zimbra /var/spool/cron/crontabs/zimbra

7) Then for any doubt i run again the crontab and syslog, i think were not necesary but i did it anyway:
    /etc/init.d/cron restart
    /etc/init.d/rsyslog restart

Sorry my english is not so good, hope it work for somebody here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information