Thread: [SOLVED] Spam training on multiple frontend Zimbra MTAs

j2b
    j2b is offline Special Member

Default [SOLVED] Spam training on multiple frontend Zimbra MTAs

Excuse me for double post, got database error on submit for first time.

I wanted to get info on best practices, how to deal with multiple Zimbra MTAs concerning Spam training. As to manual and release notes, only first MTA server is marked as zmtrainsa_cleanup_host=true. The others - false.

When a spam training script is run, messages from spam/ham training accounts are deleted. The problem here raises, if I use several Zimbra MTA servers. As far as I understand, is that, if first and only one MTA is marked for training spam, the other servers do not get any possibilities to train them, even if I mark it True via zmlocalconfig, because spam/ham mailboxes are purged.

What would be the best way to handle these spam trainings on multiple MTA Zimbra servers serving as a mail exchangers for multiple domains? I am concerned about the load of only one Zimbra MTA server, and thus would like to balance it between several.

Additional question - does on ZCS 6 and 7 (OpenSource) Spam training (user managed) is by domain, exact email account or per server? E.g., if user@company1.com marks exact mail as a spam, but user@company2.com the same mail marks as ham, or just leaves it in inbox without marking, how does spam training will influence this?

j2b

If my question is not understandable, here is shorter one:

How to train several Zimbra MTAs, or if using such, only one is aware of trained stuff? And that is how it works?

j2b

It is becoming really hard to get any comments on zimbra forums, at least for me. I hope, that my question is not from the toughest part of zimbra. Here is my additional findings. Can anybody confirm, that I am right:

1. Fault on my part, but Documentation is really not very clear.

New installs of ZCS limit spam/ham training to the first MTA installed. If you uninstall or move this MTA, you will need to enable spam/ham training on another MTA, as one host should have this enabled to run zmtrainsa --cleanup. To do this, set zmlocalconfig -e zmtrainsa_cleanup_host=TRUE.
    From which I understood, that zmtrainsa is cleaning out spam/ham accounts, and training has to be enabled via zmlocalconfig -e zmtrainse_cleanup_host=true.

By looking crontab -l, I noticed differences. zmtrainsa is run at 23:00, but zmtrainsa --cleanup (the one, that cleans out spam/ham accounts) runs at 23:45. So basically it means, that spam/ham accounts are left untouched, in a period of arround 45 minutes, to let all MTA servers get last trainings and only one MTA server has to function as zmtrainsa cleanup host. So turn attention, that zmtrainsa w/o --cleanup just trains MTA, if somebody gets to such problem.

So as far as to my interest, i consider it solved.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

All of the MTA's pull the spam messages and train from them, so ideally they will have the same training data.

Then later, there is only one host (the one that has "zmtrainse_cleanup_host=true") that empties out the spam/ham accounts to prepare for the next day.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

j2b

That's what I've come up, and it means, that I understood it. Thank you for reply and confirmation. Much appreciate!

Thread Information