Thread: Saving Column Sorting Preference in Web Client

amartin is offline Intermediate Member

Default Saving Column Sorting Preference in Web Client

I have recently upgraded to Zimbra 7 and have been very impressed with this new release. Thanks for all of the hard work! I do have one question about viewing mail in the web client. You can click on the headers (e.g. From, Subject, Received) and sort the messages based on any of those criteria. However, your sorting preference is not saved when you close the web browser and then open the Zimbra client again later.

For example, some of my users like to have the latest messages appear at the bottom, while others like them to appear at the top. This is simply a matter of clicking on the Received field, but this preference is not preserved across browser sessions.

I've found numerous bug reports (27812, 1108, 7972, and 7781) which are all related to this feature, but all of them have been marked as FIXED. Has this feature been regressed in Zimbra 7? Is it possible to add this ability to save column sorting preferences for each user?

Thanks!

soxfan is offline Moderator

I think you are misinterpreting the bug reports that you've noted. A couple of them are referring to the ability to add / remove columns and move them around. The other two refer to sorting, but not necessarily saving the sort preferences. I'm currently running 6.0.10 FOSS and changing the column sorting doesn't even survive a folder change, never mind a log out. For example, if I change the sort on my Inbox so that oldest items are displayed at the top then switch to the Sent folder, when I return to the Inbox the sort reverts to newest at the top. I *think* there may be a (old) bug report on this issue as well, but I didn't look for it.

Thanks for the fast response. It seems that this functionality has been in the works since 2006 yet I could not find any other information about its status (see the 1st response):
    Couple of Issues with Web Client

I have added a request to 52663 as it seems to be very similar.

soxfan is offline Moderator

Yeah, and notice who started that thread way back when (2006)? That was me back when I was just testing Zimbra, and really before it had been "officially" released The sorting was never a major issue for me or my users, so I never opened any bugs or followed any of the similar ones out on bugzilla.

I looked at the bug you added your comment to. If there isn't already a bug out there for sorting mail columns I'd really suggest you open a new one, rather than tagging on to one concerning tasks.

I have opened a separate bug request as you requested: 57984

Thanks again.

Thread Information