Thread: Search file contents in Briefcase

LexxTheFox is offline Starter Member

Default Search file contents in Briefcase

Hello everyone.
    I'm a bit puzzled with search function. I have installed ZCS Open-source Edition 6.0.12 on one virtual server and 7.0.1 on another to try and compare them. On both versions I have same problem: can't manage to search file contents in Briefcase.

To clarify the case: I mean those files created with internal tools of Zimbra. Not uploaded ones.

Search works as expected in mailbox. It searches topics as well as message contents like a charm. ZCS 6.0.12 also lets me search inside Documents (under the tab of the same name). But when I try to search Briefcase in both versions of ZCS it returns only matching filenames. Not contents.

I have also registered at Zimbra Demo for better problem coverage. Demo version does search those file's internals successfully.

AFAIK search function is not limited in OSE versions of Zimbra. So what could be wrong with my experimental installations? I don't get it

I would appreciate suggestions on this problem very much.

storm is online now Advanced Member

I believe that the search function is limited in the Open Source Edition.

E.g. at Zimbra - Compare Products it states:
    'Advanced search and file indexing for large inboxes' being available only for Network Edition and Appliance.

I know that searching for content of attachments is NE-only, and presume the same applies to briefcase files.

Confirmation from Zimbra, and clarification on the 'Compare Products' page would be helpful though.
    Last edited by storm; 03-14-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo

LexxTheFox is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by storm View Post
    at Zimbra - Compare Products it states:
    'Advanced search and file indexing for large inboxes' being available only for Network Edition and Appliance.

I know that searching for content of attachments is NE-only, and presume the same applies to briefcase files.
    Ahh. I should have read it really carefully.
    However the formulation seems to be rather indistinct. How does 'advanced search and indexing' differ from 'regular search'? What does mean 'large'? And what about documents?

Quote Originally Posted by storm View Post
    Confirmation from Zimbra, and clarification on the 'Compare Products' page would be helpful though.
    Indeed.

BTW, thank you for your reply.

brickjenks101 is offline Intermediate Member

update:

If I append ".html" to the end of the name of a briefcase document I can find the document by searching for text within the documents body using briefcase search. If I then remove ".html" from the end of the briefcase documents name I can still search for the document using text from within the documents body. If I then add text to the briefcase document I can not find the document based on the new text I added to the document. I can still find the document using a search query with text present in the document when it was previously saved with ".html" appended to the end of the name.

It looks like zimbra will only index files saved with ".html" or ".txt"

This does not work for me, no users are going to figure this out without me specifically training them. Some users may not be able to figure this out even if I explain it to them. Is this some kind of a work in progress or what?

here is a link to the bug report which has more information

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=62233
    Last edited by brickjenks101; 10-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.

brickjenks101 is offline Intermediate Member

Unhappy Can anybody Help!!!

Im not able to search standard Zimbra Documents.

Im not asking to index special attachment
    types (.pdf, .xls, .doc, etc.). If you add the .html extension to a Zimbra Document, it can be searched. If you remove the .html extension from the same document, it can no longer be searched. This is NOT an .html file, it's a Zimbra Document with ".html" as the last couple
    characters of the name of the document. Also real .html files and .txt files
    can be searched.

soba@ukw.edu.pl is offline Special Member

In my opinion it's not possible
    # ZCS 7.1.3 SLES11 SP1

Thread Information