Thread: Possible Zimbra Bug regarding blocking attachments

wifi_guy is offline Intermediate Member

Default Possible Zimbra Bug regarding blocking attachments

I think I might have found a bug. I did a search and couldn't find the specific issue that pertains to my situation, so I figured I'd post here. This is on a new Zimbra installation.

When we go to Global Setting > Attachments and try and block zip files it seems to crash the server after the first email is sent that actually contains the zip attachment in it. Once that email is sent, it also shuts down the Antispam and Antivirus services. Once those are shut down, the server cannot send/receive email. The zip extension needs to be removed from the attachments tab and then the server needs to be rebooted before things will come back to life. Once rebooted and all services are running, the server will send and receive once again.

Anyone else seeing this?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wifi_guy View Post
    I think I might have found a bug. I did a search and couldn't find the specific issue that pertains to my situation, so I figured I'd post here. This is on a new Zimbra installation.
    This isn't an Installation problem which is what this forum is for, I'll move it.

When we go to Global Setting > Attachments and try and block zip files it seems to crash the server after the first email is sent that actually contains the zip attachment in it. Once that email is sent, it also shuts down the Antispam and Antivirus services. Once those are shut down, the server cannot send/receive email. The zip extension needs to be removed from the attachments tab and then the server needs to be rebooted before things will come back to life. Once rebooted and all services are running, the server will send and receive once again.

Anyone else seeing this?
    What errors do you see in the log files?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This isn't an Installation problem which is what this forum is for, I'll move it.

What errors do you see in the log files?
    What exactly am I looking for in the log? Can I send it to you? So far our log isn't very large. PM me your email addy if you are ok with me sending it over.

Thanks,

davestahr is offline Intermediate Member

Default Same problem - zcs-7.0.0_GA_3077.RHEL5.20110127201734

I'm having the same problem. We needed to allow a normally-blocked attachment from being blocked yesterday, then again this morning, and both times, Zimbra stopped relaying mail. I tracked down this being the culprit in both instances, but here's the one from this morning:

/opt/zimbra/log/zmconfigd.log shows:

2011-03-10 08:57:04,526 zmconfigd WARNING [26677-MainThread] Var zimbraMtaBlockedExtension changed from 'asd bat chm cmd com dll do exe hlp hta js jse lnk mov ocx pif reg rm scr shb shm shs vbe vbs vbx vxd wav wmf wsf wsh xl' -> 'asd bat chm cmd com dll do exe hlp hta js jse lnk ocx pif reg rm scr shb shm shs vbe vbs vbx vxd wmf wsf wsh xl'

Followed by /var/log/maillog showing:

Mar 10 08:57:16 myhostname postfix/postfix-script[15566]: refreshing the Postfix mail system

And seconds later in /var/log/maillog:

Mar 10 08:57:18 myhostname postfix/smtpd[15571]: connect from some.hostname.net[1.2.3.4]
    Mar 10 08:57:20 myhostname postfix/smtpd[15571]: 8A8C2B58001: client=some.hostname.net[1.2.3.4], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=ausername@mydomain.com
    Mar 10 08:57:20 myhostname postfix/cleanup[15576]: 8A8C2B58001: message-id=<C99E4383.6829%ausername@mydomain.com>
    Mar 10 08:57:20 myhostname postfix/qmgr[15577]: 8A8C2B58001: from=<ausername@mydomain.com>, size=3652, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Mar 10 08:57:20 myhostname postfix/smtp[15578]: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused
    Mar 10 08:57:20 myhostname postfix/smtp[15578]: 8A8C2B58001: to=<someone@anotherdomain.com>, relay=none, delay=0.42, delays=0.41/0/0/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused)

This went on for over an hour before we realized messages weren't being delivered. Another administrator restarted Zimbra before I was able to check any other commands. Restarting Zimbra fortunate did fix the problem, but I'm assuming any change to zimbraMtaBlockedExtension will continue to break the MTA.

Running ZCS version zcs-7.0.0_GA_3077.RHEL5.20110127201734 on RHEL 5.1 32-bit.

Default any updates?

Just wondering if anyone saw this and had any comments. Sorry to bump, but we're needing to manually restart Zimbra every time we make a change to the attachment settings, which is a bit of a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by davestahr View Post
    Just wondering if anyone saw this and had any comments. Sorry to bump, but we're needing to manually restart Zimbra every time we make a change to the attachment settings, which is a bit of a nuisance.
    We are still seeing this also. Once you restart the server your issues go away correct?

Once you restart the server your issues go away correct?
    That's correct. We actually just do a restart of Zimbra, not the entire server, which is a bit quicker, but either way -- restarting fixes the problem.

Thread Information