Thread: Logjam in the maildrop queue

stbain is offline Junior Member

Default Logjam in the maildrop queue

Greetings all. We recently started experiencing email delays on our Zimbra installation. Upon further analysis, we found that the amount of incoming spam has tripled in a little over a month. We believe it is this increase in spam that is causing our server to be delayed. We've been trying to free up as much disk I/O and processor/memory cycles as possible on the Zimbra server to help combat the delay, but it has only helped marginally.

In the meantime, I read through the Postfix Bottleneck Analysis document, and I've found that a ton of the messages on my server are waiting in the maildrop queue. maildrop is for mails submitted via sendmail. On the document, it specifically states that "High volume sites must avoid using content filters that reinject scanned mail via Postfix sendmail(1) and postdrop(1)." From what I can tell, it looks like Zimbra is doing exactly that.

The maildrop queue is handled by a single thread process: pickup. I reviewed the pickup man page, but didn't see any advice as to how I can flush that queue or speed up the delivery process from that queue. Does anyone have any tips or reference materials that I can review for more information?

Roturgo is offline Intermediate Member
    http://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested

Question Resolution?

I know this is a pretty old post, but I'm curious -- did you ever find a resolution for this issue? We're currently experiencing the same type of problem with our server.

stbain is offline Junior Member

Default Upgrade

It has been quite a while since we ran into this problem, but if I recall correctly an upgrade to the latest version seemed to fix the problems we were experiencing.

Roturgo is offline Intermediate Member
    http://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested

Post Calendar Indexing

Here's a quick update:

Zimbra support looked at our server and noticed that we had a bunch of pending redo operations for calendar items. According to support,

Calender indexing is coming in ZCS 5, but some of the code in 4.5 is queueing items for indexing. Since the server can't process the request, these operations just accumulate. The fix for this will most likely be in 4.5.11, but until then you can "reset" the redo.log like this:

* Run a full zmbackup (or wait until after the normally scheduled full backup completes)
    * After it completes, stop all zimbra services
    * Delete the contents of /opt/zimbra/redolog/
    * Restart all services

This issue is on file as Bug 22664.
    Bug 22664 - Huge number of IndexItem (type=11 or type=15) redos after server startup, never cleaned up

Thread Information