Thread: Moving from OSE to NE 7.0

stuartg is offline New Member

Default Moving from OSE to NE 7.0

Hi there, we've upgraded our 6.0 to 7.0 OSE and are now looking to install a trial key.

Some forums indicate that all we need to do is put the license key in to the 'global settings' 'licenses' tab in order to move to network edition (NE). This tab is not available in 7.0.

Has Zimbra altered how this works? The standard trial instructions require downloading yet another zimbra, then implementing license keys in it.

Is there a simple way to just enter our trial key and trial it without a full re-setup of zimbra? If not, guess we'll stick to OSE.

TIA

Stuart

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stuartg View Post
    Hi there, we've upgraded our 6.0 to 7.0 OSE and are now looking to install a trial key.

Some forums indicate that all we need to do is put the license key in to the 'global settings' 'licenses' tab in order to move to network edition (NE). This tab is not available in 7.0.
    Of course it's available, it's not in the Open Source version.

Has Zimbra altered how this works? The standard trial instructions require downloading yet another zimbra, then implementing license keys in it.
    Yes, you have to install the Network Edition plus the licence to get the NE features.

Is there a simple way to just enter our trial key and trial it without a full re-setup of zimbra? If not, guess we'll stick to OSE.
    Why?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Originally Posted by stuartg View Post
    >>Why?

If i installed the tar.gz for NE and replace the existing install of zimbra OSE 7, will all my configuration and data be in place or do I have to re-configure again?

Originally Posted by stuartg View Post
    >>Why?

If i installed the tar.gz for NE and replace the existing install of zimbra OSE 7, will all my configuration and data be in place or do I have to re-configure again?
    Of course it's all retained. Look at the upgrade instructions - there are also several thread in these forums that cover the topic. Obviously you should take sufficient backups before and after the upgrade.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks for your answer.

I've obviously searched the forums before this post but been unable to find the appropriate answer so I'll add the keywords to this and perhaps this will be more searchable by others in the future.

I have also read the installation instructions and it is un-obvious what happens if you're upgrading OSE to NE. It's written from the POV of installing NE.

This is why the forum post.

Enchante

Stuart

keywords: OSE 7.0 NE Upgrade preserve config

I've obviously searched the forums before this post but been unable to find the appropriate answer so I'll add the keywords to this and perhaps this will be more searchable by others in the future.
    I'm a great believer that nothing is 'obvious' unless you have actually stated it. Therefore the fact you'd searched wasn't 'obvious' to me, hence my comment - unless someone tells me that they have done 'xyz' then I assume they haven't.

FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki
    site:zimbra.com +upgrade +"open source" +license +settings - Yahoo! Search Results

I have also read the installation instructions and it is un-obvious what happens if you're upgrading OSE to NE. It's written from the POV of installing NE.
    See P20 of the Release Notes for NE & P15 for the Open Source version:

Upgrading to the latest release does not delete you accounts or change your settings.
    That is true whether it's an upgrade to a new release or on 'update' of the same release of Zimbra, it wouldn't make sense to do an NE upgrade and wipe out the configuration and accounts. Zimbra NE & the Open Source version are effectively the same product with the obvious addition of the extra features in the NE version.
    Regards

Bill

Bill: "That is true whether it's an upgrade to a new release or on 'update' of the same release of Zimbra, it wouldn't make sense to do an NE upgrade and wipe out the configuration and accounts. Zimbra NE & the Open Source version are effectively the same product with the obvious addition of the extra features in the NE version."

I agree it would not make sense. However that is not necessarily going to stop it from happening. LOL. Next time I'll read the release notes to understand the installation process.

Thanks for your help Bill. Much appreciated.

Thread Information