Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just discovered Zimbra, need feedback

kigoobe is offline Junior Member

Default Just discovered Zimbra, need feedback

Hi guys

I'm having a dedicated server and was looking for a nice webmail solution for my clients ... I was thinking how would be Zimbra ... what do you guys think? I will be going for the opensource one though ... thanks for sharing your feedbacks ... is it tough to install it?

Thanks

andreychek is offline Special Member & Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by kigoobe
    I'm having a dedicated server and was looking for a nice webmail solution for my clients ... I was thinking how would be Zimbra ... what do you guys think? I will be going for the opensource one though ... thanks for sharing your feedbacks ... is it tough to install it?
    So, you're asking in the Zimbra forums, if we think you should try Zimbra? :-)

My suggestion would simply be to give it a try. If you're dedicated server currently isn't providing mail, go ahead and install Zimbra on it, it can't hurt.

If you currently are using that system for mail, you can always grab vmware server (which is free), and install Zimbra in it.

Either way, that'll give you an idea if it'll do what you want :-)

Good luck,
    -Eric

jimbo is offline Special Member

My experience has been very positive.

I've been using Zimbra since last November or so. Have been really liking it.

It is a bit resource intensive, so if you are using it on a multipurpose server that is running your website, samba etc. I recommend 2Gb of RAM or more.

I run it on CentOS 4.4 which I use for my website, database, samba and jabber server. Haven't had any conflicts or resource problems. My users love it and show it to whoever they can.

Of all of the open-source workgroup suites I've tried (and I've tried them all!) the folks at Zimbra are the only ones who "get it". Zimbra is easy to install, maintain and use. Zimbra is definitely moving in the right direction and each new release gets better and better.

The support forum is outstanding as well. Very few open-source projects I've come accross have a more active and enthusiastic user community. The Zimbra employees that peruse the forums are extremely helpful and quick with answers. I can't say enough about the support staff there at Zimbra.

Good luck with your investigation, I'm sure you'll find the information you need here in the forums.

jimbo

Wow, never thought to get so fast reply ... thanks guys

Well, I am having a DDR of 1024mb (RHEL 4, Pentium 4), so half of what you are suggesting ... and yes, this is the same server that's hosting my other websites as well ...

What do you think? Won't it be enough to host a nice email service using Zimbra?

Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by kigoobe; 10-01-2006 at 11:33 AM.

I would also like to know, if Zimbra would be compatible with whm and cpanel? My server is running with them. Thanks for your help guys.

Klug is offline Moderator

I would also like to know, if Zimbra would be compatible with whm and cpanel? My server is running with them.
    If you're looking for automagic provisionning, Zimbra is not currently working with any control panel.

But scripts can be written 8)

bobby is offline Zimbra Employee

if you're planning on installing zimbra on a server that's already hosting websites (presumably on port 80), you'll want to do something like either a) only allow ssl access to zimbra (default port 443) or b) change the non-ssl web port to something besides 80. i'm pretty sure the mailbox menu in the setup stage of the installation allows these modifications but they can always be made after zimbra is installed

Quote Originally Posted by bobby
    if you're planning on installing zimbra on a server that's already hosting websites (presumably on port 80), you'll want to do something like either a) only allow ssl access to zimbra (default port 443) or b) change the non-ssl web port to something besides 80. i'm pretty sure the mailbox menu in the setup stage of the installation allows these modifications but they can always be made after zimbra is installed
    Merci pour l'info Klug ...

Bobby, could you please explain a bit? I have checked with my server guys, and the port is indeed 80, so your first assumption is right. So, now I can go on installing Zimbra, only thing I should do is changing my webport to something else. Is that enough? And I guess I will have to ask my server guys to do that change, right?

Thanks again.

Klug is offline Moderator

Merci pour l'info Klug ...
    Tiens, un frenchy 8)

Bobby, could you please explain a bit? I have checked with my server guys, and the port is indeed 80, so your first assumption is right. So, now I can go on installing Zimbra, only thing I should do is changing my webport to something else. Is that enough? And I guess I will have to ask my server guys to do that change, right?
    Either you change your webport to stg else (not nice) or you can use the power of mod-proxy : http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZimbraApache

Merci for the link Klug ... Je ne suis pas Frenchie, but live in Paris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information