Thread: Zimbra aliases verses Exim aliases

mond is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra aliases verses Exim aliases

Hi

I've just installed and configured Zimbra for the first time (took me three goes but it was worth every second and I learned a lot). Fantastic software, thanks Zimbra people

I used to run an Exim mail server which had an aliases file where I could redirect incoming mail for old, deleted, accounts to other users e.g.:

barry: peter
    zoe: John,dave

very useful when one of our tutors left to redirect their incoming mail to one or more of the remaining teaching staff.

I've looked at the Zimbra aliases feature but it doesn't seem to work in the same way. Anyone know of a way to get Zimbra or the Postfix MTA to alias mail as described above?

Thanks

Ray

andreychek is offline Special Member & Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by mond
    barry: peter
    zoe: John,dave

I've looked at the Zimbra aliases feature but it doesn't seem to work in the same way. Anyone know of a way to get Zimbra or the Postfix MTA to alias mail as described above?
    For this, rather than using an alias, you might want to explore a distribution list. In the Zimbra admin interface, it's the third option down... the one right under the 'Aliases' option on the left.

Good luck,
    -Eric

Default Aliases solved

Hi Eric

Thanks, I'll look into it but in the mean time I've found the Postfix aliases file in:

/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/conf/aliases

It has the same layout and appears to have the same functionality as the Exim aliases file I'm used to, so I've set up my aliases list in there for the time being.

Your solution may be more effective in the long term, I'll try it out.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Ray

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i suspect you'll quickly find that aliases file overwritten, either by dynamic zimbra processing, or by an upgrade

Default Rats!

Hi Dijichi2

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it. If Zimbra overwrites it I'll revert to Eric's suggestion.

I thought it was too easy

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

Ray

boby_mike is offline Junior Member

Hi guys,

I know that is a very old threat, but i have some problems with zimbra, as described here.
    So: first of all, on the old postfix server, in /etc/aliases we had some aliases like this:
    user1 : user1, user1@another-domain.com (this means, if there comes an e-mail for user1@mydomain.com, the mail will go to his box, and a copy of it will be send to the second e-mail address: user1@another-domain.com ) Can that be done with zimbra? How?

Second of all: there were user x@mydomain.com and his boss: boss.x@mydomain.com. The boss wanted to have a copy of the specific user incoming messages, so i had this:
    x : x, boss.x
    But how dos this work with zimbra? i found a way, by geting in each user mailbox, and from Preferences, forwarding the mail to the boss address, but the users can see this and they delete this..What can i do?

Thread Information