Thread: Anyone successfull - FOSS v7 32bit to 64bit

spectra is offline Special Member

Default Anyone successfull - FOSS v7 32bit to 64bit

Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Using the above as my guide, I wasn't successful going from Ubuntu 32bit 8 LTS to 64bit 10 LTS.

Is it the case that I have to go to 64bit 8 LTS first ?

Assuming it is, how then do I go from 8 LTS 64bit to 10 LTS 64 bit ?

The problem I ran into, unsure, I think was some vagueness or assumption of higher knowledge than what I have.

When they say, create the server exactly, do they mean down all the accounts that were on the original, COS and GLobal settings and such ?
    I thought these would be copied over after the copy process.

thanks in advance

kevindods is offline Advanced Member

Seen your various posts and we are expecting to do the same migration soon.

Seems most of the information relating to the migration is network not OSS and does indeed seem a little vague. We are going to need to work this out and get a very repeatable process before we touch live servers.

Wondered if it is better or possible to migrate users from the 32bit machine to a new 64bit machine rather than migrate the server itself. Only issue for us either way, are the TBs of data involved and therefore the down time that implies.

Thankfully we only have to go to 64bit once, 128bit is some way off!

Anything you find out would be useful we will share too!

Because the directives assume so much knowledge on the users part, it takes a while to plan and execute and go back to your original setup if you fail.

For example, I planned all week. How you might ask.
    I went thru that document on wiki and copy and paste what pertain to me and what I needed to do. I also knew then that copying from one machine to the other would have been a pain, I settled on SCP. Darn, there's no real root. Ok, make a /temp folder and chmod 777 and +t Then move it to the proper /opt/zimbra location then do the permission fix. Wow, really.

Then came the vagueness. Copy this and all other volumes, what volumes. Ok I copied over the store/* and index/* was there more I'm to copy from elsewhere.

Oh there's more. Configure the server exactly as the current one. Well does that entail Global settings and COS things that you might have forgotten.

Maybe if the wiki had some more background to it. Without that, you have to be specific. You gotta be a 20 year linux guru to to this migration if you ask me. It's just not as systematic as lead t believe. Maybe it's just me.

I promise this. I will get a migration done and I will post a process that a smart 5th grader can follow. I like to take the dummy approach.
    I'm not giving up and I'm sure that will be a welcomed contribution.

All in all, I just don't think anyone is doing FOSS conversions.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kevindods View Post
    Seems most of the information relating to the migration is network not OSS and does indeed seem a little vague.
    There are a couple of NE specific points in migration article but the article applies equally to the OSS version (obviously omitting the NE steps). The article is also specific (rather than 'vague') about what needs to be done to move to a new server, it has been tested by Zimbra and many users in the forums have used that document to migrate their servers.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

kevindods is offline Advanced Member

Hi Bill,

The comment relates to the intended audience. The amount of knowledge that is required suggests a deeper understanding of the process and Zimbra subtleties than may always be the case.

Many installs, particularly OSS are handled by small companies/organizations that have a smaller pool of skills and experience. I have read through the posts in the forum and it does seem a more common theme that people are confused or need more help.

Although referral back to the original content is useful there is also requirement to hear the need and do something new if questions are still arising. Which, being the OSS part, is what us users can contribute. Network users will get the benefit of dedicated support and often more local resources too which will allow them to work with a different level of documentation.

Phoneix, Kevindods is right.
    I'm a new jack at this. I know what I went thru to learn how to install FOSS and the split DNS thing along with doing SMTH Authentication via my ISP.

Yes, I used that article but it took me weeks. I then wrote my documentation based on what I practically had to do. I assumed nothing. My goal was to write instructions that any person knowing how to read could do it, follow it, & use it.

I proved that my documentation was good when I had my wife install ZImbra. My wife knows how to use windows just as a user. I told her just read and do what it says. She did it.

So what I'm saying is that these wiki's expect a very reasonable level of linux and sys admin skills. I've hung around linux long enough to understand the culture. It's almost one of, sweat it out, grind it out, and when you get it you can join the club

Just be a little open minded. You guys I've always said that work for Zimbra are in the "KNOW" Most of us out here are not. Hell, I'm just not that smart guys, I try hard and work smart, I think.

I'll keep trying because I have to get this.

Thread Information