Thread: Outlook deleting mail problem

Labsy is offline Elite Member

Default Outlook deleting mail problem

Hi,

I have many users on my Zimbra box, most of them using Outlook, verisons from 2003 to 2010. Today one of users was trying to free some space on his old computer by (stupidly!) deleting mail from Outlook 2003 on his old computer...but he realised the harsh truth after he logged into his NEW computer and saw, that mail is gone also from his new Outlook 2010.

Ok, he called me and it took me some time to explain IMAP sync principle to him, but I promised to try to recover deleted items.

Any idea if mail, deleted with Outlook 2003 can be somehow recovered? Maybe files are still on zimbra server, but where should I look?
    Trash is empty, of course.

Ideas welcome.

bdial is offline Moderator

did you enable the dumpster feature of v7? not sure if that appleis to mails deleted via imap or not

Labsy is offline Elite Member

No
    I did not recon this feature exists. But anyways...Outlook 2003/2007 delete mail directly, not using trash folder.

Edit:
    On client's machine I copied Outlook.pst file, where mail is stored, and it was about 150 MB in size. Ok, I thought, some mail it must contain. So I did follow Microsoft's instructions how to restore deleted items (first edit in hex editor and zero out hex chunks from 7 to 13 in this .pst file, then run scanpst.exe against this file, and it will restore all items, existing and deleted ones).
    At first I thought it was sucess, because all deleted items, few thousands of them appeared in .pst file....but unfortunatelly only headers were restored. No mail bodies

That's just for info if somebody else tries the same method.

Edit 2:
    I solved the lost mail problem via Windows shadow copies. Restored IMAP .pst file on client machine dated 1 week ago and all deleted mail was there. Maybe it helps somebody.
    Last edited by Labsy; 02-20-2011 at 03:07 PM.

tdslot is offline Active Member

Hello,

Yes, I also have this problem with Outlook 2007. Some ways outlook deletes outlook.pst file where is store Outbox folder. And delete other .pst files like archive.pst and so on...

How to solve this problem?

Thread Information