Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: debian 6 squeeze

MKC
    MKC is offline Member

For what it's worth, I'm running the latest Zimbra on a Debian 6 server and it works like a charm. I don't think I even had to downgrade dpkg during the installation.
    If you really want Zimbra and Debian 6, how about trying it out ? You'll see how it goes. Waiting for an official announcement could take a while.

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

There will be no Zimbra provided package for ZCS8 on Debian 6. You can, however, check ZCS out of the perforce repository and build it yourself on Debian6, or if you want to use a Zimbra provided build, Ubuntu12 is probably your closest related build.

Hope that helps.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Crayz9000 is offline Senior Member

If I might ask, since Debian follows a slower release cycle than Ubuntu and is therefore a more stable platform, what was the reasoning behind leaving it unsupported? Might we expect Debian support in a future release such as ZCS9 or has it dropped entirely off the roadmap?
    Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU10.64 DEBIAN6_64 FOSS edition

MacRonin is offline Starter Member

Thanks for the information. My stumbling block is that I can't justify an entire server for just Zimbra, and I already have tools on the box that require the current Debian 6 environment. This kills the two simpler options of a dedicated box, or downgrading dpkg to do the install. I'll still be keeping an eye on Zimbra. But I know it will be a while before I will have the available time to build it from scratch and also see how well it interacts with my other tools requirements.

Hopefully I'll get busy enough to justify a dedicated box for it, because I do like what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    There will be no Zimbra provided package for ZCS8 on Debian 6. You can, however, check ZCS out of the perforce repository and build it yourself on Debian6, or if you want to use a Zimbra provided build, Ubuntu12 is probably your closest related build.

Hope that helps.

--Quanah

mathx is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post
    Thanks for the information. My stumbling block is that I can't justify an entire server for just Zimbra, and I already have tools on the box that require the current Debian 6 environment. This kills the two simpler options of a dedicated box, or downgrading dpkg to do the install. I'll still be keeping an eye on Zimbra. But I know it will be a while before I will have the available time to build it from scratch and also see how well it interacts with my other tools requirements.

Hopefully I'll get busy enough to justify a dedicated box for it, because I do like what I see.
    err... so just put it into an lxc or vserver container... i've got zim5 7.2 on vservers and installing 8 on lxc debian now... no brainer.

mathx is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crayz9000 View Post
    If I might ask, since Debian follows a slower release cycle than Ubuntu and is therefore a more stable platform, what was the reasoning behind leaving it unsupported? Might we expect Debian support in a future release such as ZCS9 or has it dropped entirely off the roadmap?
    wouldnt say its slower release cycle has made it more stable, but not being a desktop OS has made it more stable. ubuntu is starting to be missing server-oriented features and is becoming irritating to work with. we're no longer deploying ubuntu servers
    for our clients.

Crayz9000 is offline Senior Member

Zimbra 8, by the way, works just fine on Debian 6 using the Ubuntu 10.04 package. The dpkg downgrade method mentioned on the wiki must still be done, however.

I am curious whether or not the Ubuntu 12.04 package will work in Debian 7 (Wheezy). It's something I'll have to try out later.
    Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU10.64 DEBIAN6_64 FOSS edition

math is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crayz9000 View Post
    Zimbra 8, by the way, works just fine on Debian 6 using the Ubuntu 10.04 package. The dpkg downgrade method mentioned on the wiki must still be done, however.

I am curious whether or not the Ubuntu 12.04 package will work in Debian 7 (Wheezy). It's something I'll have to try out later.
    I just installed Zim 8 with the ubuntu 10.04 package on Wheezy, but I didnt have to do any downgrade from what i recall.

tenpagyatso is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by math View Post
    I just installed Zim 8 with the ubuntu 10.04 package on Wheezy, but I didnt have to do any downgrade from what i recall.
    Since you posted this, how is your Zimbra 8 / Ubuntu 10.04 system running on Debian 7 (Wheezy)? If no troubles since February I'd think it could be depended upon.

Is your user base on the large side of things or smaller?
    Steven White
    Zimbra 6.0.16 NE on CentOS 5.3 on Dell 1950
    at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design on Earth in Sol

mathx is offline Member

50 users only, runs fine. i havent updated the wheezy in a bit tho, so its slightly behind the release wheezy. i should however, of course. let you know?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information