Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Failing upgrade from 6.0.10 to 7.0 Ubuntu server 8.04.4 LTS 32-bit multiserver

j2b
    j2b is offline Special Member

Default Failing upgrade from 6.0.10 to 7.0 Ubuntu server 8.04.4 LTS 32-bit multiserver VM

[EDIT:] As to recomendations from tim_ba Failing upgrade from 6.0.10 to 7.0 Ubuntu server 8.04.4 LTS 32-bit multiserver, I added VM to title of this post.

In my case Zimbra VM were deployed on VMWare ESXi servers.

Unfortunately, due to lack of timing, I migrated (almoust) to v7 64-bit Ubuntu servers 10.04 to the RedHat cloud with fresh installs and I can not participate in solution findings at the moment further. I'll leave this post open, if this in some future may help others to deal with some consequences, if a solution would be found.

Tonight started upgrade process from 6.0.10 to 7.0.0 Opensource edition. Started upgrade on LDAP server. A couple of problems raised:

1. Before installation, sqlite3 had to be added to Ubuntu server installation (minor problem)

2. after running all chechs and sqlite3 addition, upgrade process cli throwed out an error, that "Updating global config and COS's with attributes introduced after 6.0.10_GA...failed."

3. when upgrade process was mainly finished, configuration process was started like in fresh installation, which was not discovered before on any upgrades, even moving from v5 to v6, stating that timezone settings has to be setup. Timezone settings for my needs was not available (Europe/Riga). This issue is discussed here: [SOLVED] Timezone problems when upgrading
    For a quick solution, tried this hack and run upgrade process again.

4. After setting different timezone, upgrade process went furhter, still giving the following errors:

Creating server entry for ldap.company.com...failed.
    Setting TimeZone Preference...failed.
    and after getting last log on cli:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: TRACE
    at com.zimbra.common.util.Log.<clinit>(Log.java:44)
    at com.zimbra.common.util.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactor y.java:50)
    at com.zimbra.common.util.ZimbraLog.<clinit>(ZimbraLo g.java:115)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.main(ProvUtil.java: 2875)

... just stopped - no confirmation on successfull upgrade. Checking services running status, I discovered, the following status:

ldap Running
    snmp Stopped
    zmswatch is not running.
    stats Stopped
    zmconfigd Stopped
    zmconfigd is not running.

... and actually LDAP was accessible and running, but still this solution didn't satiesfied as I consider that upgrade process didn't go through clean. Currently recovered from backup, and would like to investigate this issue. Zimbra setup process logfile gave more errors on each step, even including self-signed cert deployment problems, which was never noticed before. My questions for now are the following:

Why upgrade process on LDAP (only) server incures Java procedures, which were not noitced in upgrade paths before, as java is considered to be on mailbox servers?

What could be correct way to overcome timezone problems, as hack mentioned in above link is not working for 100%?

Ho to deploy new additions after 6.0.10, if upgrade process does not do it properly?

Does anyone experienced the similar issues on upgrade to v7?

I was planning for moving from 32-bit to 64-bit LTS for Ubuntu Server. What could be the best plan to do it? Firstly upgrade current system to v7 and make migration after, or consider moving to 64-bit on v6.0.10 and upgrade to v7 after migration?

Concerning migration - does procedures from wiki relating to migrating Network edition ZCS relate and work for doing it with OpenSource edition?
    Last edited by j2b; 04-07-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Edited title

Labsy is offline Elite Member

I upgraded tonite from 6.0.7_GA_2473 to 7.0.0_GA_3077 but on 64-bit version (you had problems on 32-bit). At startup of install script prerequisites check also failed, missing sqlite3:
    Code:
    Checking for prerequisites...
         FOUND: NPTL
         FOUND: sudo-1.6.9p10-1ubuntu3.4
         FOUND: libidn11-1.1-1
         FOUND: libpcre3-7.4-1ubuntu2.1
         FOUND: libgmp3c2-2:4.2.2+dfsg-1ubuntu2
         FOUND: libexpat1-2.0.1-0ubuntu1
         FOUND: libstdc++6-4.2.4-1ubuntu4
         FOUND: libperl5.8-5.8.8-12ubuntu0.4
    Checking for suggested prerequisites...
         FOUND: perl-5.8.8
         FOUND: sysstat
         MISSING: sqlite3 does not appear to be installed.

###WARNING###

The suggested version of one or more packages is not installed.
    This could cause problems with the operation of Zimbra.

Do you wish to continue? [N]
    I pressed Y to continue and the rest of upgrade seems to pass without problems. Server works fine.
    Still investigating how to proceed with missing sqlite3...if there is anything necessary to do.

j2b

Yes, the same situation was in my case, but I stopped installation, added sqlite3 and restarted upgrade script. For this, I do not understand, why upgrading LDAP only asks for sqlite, as, according to v7 Release Notes, sqlite is introduced due to cbpolicyd implementation. But this is related to MTA servers. The other odd thing, is that system started installing via java code, which was not noticed before, as this server is LDAP only. No frontends or MTAs anyway. And it seemed to fail in two positions - deploying new features to LDAP introduced after v6, and afterwards - installing this java thing. zmsetup log did not give me any reasonable answer. As it keeps telling, that installation runs forward, despite errors.

Hi,
    after first positive impression, I found out that after upgrade to 7.0.0 no mail can be received to my Zimbra box!

j2b

As to my issue, today, I just noticed, that my servers' SSL certificates were timed out last year, which somehow slipped over my attention. For some time I considered, that zimbra upgrades renew these self signed certs, but it isn't so. Will try upgrade tonight with refreshed certificates.

As to your issue - does telnet to MTAs 25 work?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    after first positive impression, I found out that after upgrade to 7.0.0 no mail can be received to my Zimbra box!
    That doesn't really give anyone the information needed to help you. What errors do you see in the log files, when you've found the error please search the forums for it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

j2b

Wanted to prepare to my upgrade tonight:
    1. does not refreshed certificates could result in failing deploying new implementations (probably yes)?
    2. how to solve server time setting issue on upgrade procedure, as workarround mentioned on my first post, didn't work for me?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by j2b View Post
    Wanted to prepare to my upgrade tonight:
    1. does not refreshed certificates could result in failing deploying new implementations (probably yes)?
    This item is covered in the Release Notes, it's required that self-signed certificates are valid.

Quote Originally Posted by j2b View Post
    2. how to solve server time setting issue on upgrade procedure, as workarround mentioned on my first post, didn't work for me?
    I've never encountered this problem, was a bug report ever filed for it?

You move your Zimbra installation by following the NE wiki article and omit any NE specific steps, make sure you take adequate backups first.

The requirement for sqlite3 is for the cbpolicyd daemon and isn't necessary for upgrade:

Bug 51139 &ndash; sqlite3 dependency missing while installation
    Bug 51104 &ndash; installer should check for sqlite package
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That doesn't really give anyone the information needed to help you. What errors do you see in the log files, when you've found the error please search the forums for it.
    Sorry for my nervous post...I had 1 hand on the phone, answering also nervous clients, and the other on keyboard

Found out one error in zmconfigd.log and reissued that exact command again (described in this post). This brought Zimbra back into functionality, but there is still a problem with SSL (commercial) certificate, which I still work on.

j2b

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I've never encountered this problem, was a bug report ever filed for it?
    No, as far as I understood from original post, and searched for other bug reports, I could not find any. The problem was connected with availability to select my relevant timezone - there were no # available in a list for our region. And after finishing upgrade script, configuration screen was presented, stating, that I have to setup Timezone, which was setup before and now on 6.0.10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information