**EDIT: The reason for the unsupported install on Ubuntu 10.10 is because this machine is a Hyper-V guest.
This is my first post on these forums. I came to Zimbra because I am interested in providing my small business clients with a "Small Business Server" that won't cost a fortune in software licensing and hardware requirements. I actually trashed SBS 2008 server and installed Ubuntu for my own business use as a test run.
I installed Zimbra for the first time a couple days ago. It was an unsupported install of the latest version 6 on Ubuntu 10.10. The only issue I had (which is documented on the forums here) was having to downgrade dpkg to dpkg_184.108.40.206ubuntu4.3_amd64 AFTER installing dependencies. I also configured it using Split DNS since my VM is sitting behind a NAT. All went fairly smooth for my first time, and my email was up and running with multiple domains in no time.
Today I happened back to the Zimbra site to take a look at ZD 2 and saw that ZCS version 7 dropped. Being the early adopter I am, I decided to go for it since I didn't have much mail on my new system yet, and I knew I could rebuild ZCS 6 if needed.
During the process of upgrading, I took some notes in case anyone is interested. I have a friend running V6 on Ubuntu 10.10 as well, so the notes were for him originally.
Notes on Upgrade from ZCS 6.0.10_GA_2692 to 7.0.0_GA_3077 on Ubuntu 10.10
New dependency in ZCS7: sqlite3
Had to upgrade dpkg back to current version, install sqlite3, then downgrade dpkg back to version dpkg_220.127.116.11ubuntu4.3_amd64 again before running ./install.sh.
All seemed normal with install until during or just after the schema upgrade from 64 to 65. The install screen stopped showing any information for a very long time after "Stopping ldap...done.".
I was getting concerned so I opened another Putty session and ran top so I could see if there were any zimbra processes running. Every once in a while I would see some zm processes start and then stop like it was trying to do something, but failing, after 2.5 hours, the installer was still stuck on "Stopping ldap...done.".
My patience was gone, so I hit control C on the installer, and then it started to progress normally again. I don't know what it was hung up on. although the next thing on the screen was the installer "Checking ldap status...not running".
Install continued normally from that point on with no errors or other strangeness. After install was finished the services started and mail flow was restored. Everything seems to be running great so far.
Here is the section from Putty where it got stuck, and 2.5 hours later I hit Control-C (probably could have done this about 10 seconds after it originally got stuck...):
I welcome any comments or questions. I thought I was hosed when the installer got stuck, and was quite surprised when everything finished seemingly fine.
Schema upgrade required from version 64 to 65.
Tue Feb 8 09:59:01 2011: Verified schema version 64.
Tue Feb 8 09:59:11 2011: Verified schema version 64.
Tue Feb 8 09:59:11 2011: Updating DB schema version from 64 to 65.
Updating from 6.0.11_GA
^CChecking ldap status...not running.
Checking ldap status...already running.
Updating from 7.0.0_BETA1
Updating from 7.0.0_BETA2
Updating from 7.0.0_BETA3
Updating from 7.0.0_RC1
Updating from 7.0.0_GA
Again, I know this isn't a supported install, but I figured someone might find this interesting/useful.