Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra 7 License Activation

FritzBrause is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Default Zimbra 7 License Activation

The release notes of Zimbra 7 refer to BUG 20984: "All network edition installs now require license activation. New installs will have a 10-day grace period from the license issue date before requiring activation. Upgraded ZCS versions require an immediate activation to maintain network feature functionality. We will provide a means of creating manual activations for systems that do not have external access to the Zimbra license servers.
    License 2.0 now includes additional attributes for licensed features, as well as one additional license type, perpetual."

On Bugzilla access to Bug 20984 has been denied.

Since we don't have any license keys to play with any information about the upgrade process from 6 NE to 7 NE regadring this topic is appreciated.

Is it possible to upgrade from Zimbra 6 Network Edition with a valid key as usual? I don't want to try this on a production system ;-)
    Best regards

Andreas Wolske

managedhosting.de GmbH

Zimbra Cloud Hosting, Consulting & Support
    VMware vCloud Powered Serviceprovider

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FritzBrause View Post
    Is it possible to upgrade from Zimbra 6 Network Edition with a valid key as usual?
    Yes, it works well and I've done several upgrades. I do believe there's one user on the forums that had a problem with activating their license, you might want to have a search for that thread.
    Last edited by phoenix; 02-08-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

fruitloaf is offline Active Member

Any idea where that post is, I've searched for activation server on the forums and not got any results and I'm having the problem "Unable to reach the Zimbra License Activation Server" when trying to upgrade yet the server has normal internet access.

uxbod is offline Moderator

What happens if you try the following url in a browser https://license.zimbra.com/zimbraLic...on?action=test

Hmm, what would be better is from the server where you are trying to activate run the following at the command prompt
    Code:
    curl --connect-timeout 5 -s -f https://license.zimbra.com/zimbraLicensePortal/public/activation?action=test

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloaf View Post
    Any idea where that post is, I've searched for activation server on the forums and not got any results and I'm having the problem "Unable to reach the Zimbra License Activation Server" when trying to upgrade yet the server has normal internet access.
    License Activation - error
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    What happens if you try the following url in a browser https://license.zimbra.com/zimbraLic...on?action=test

Hmm, what would be better is from the server where you are trying to activate run the following at the command prompt
    Code:
    curl --connect-timeout 5 -s -f https://license.zimbra.com/zimbraLicensePortal/public/activation?action=test
    Thanks that told me where the problem was. Curl gave no response so I tried wget and received a no local certificates error, it couldn't validate the SSL certificate. Installing the package ca-certificates solved the problem.

On a side note has anyone noticed that the appliance 10 user feature list has changed to remove mobile? Essentially its now the same feature list as OSS except wrapped in Vami.

I'd be interested to know what will happen to existing appliance users if they try to upgrade as I've setup a client and an internal server using this and both use Mobile. At least the perpetual license is relatively cheap but I feel like there's a bit of bait and switch going on here.

leSasch is offline Senior Member

Chapeau!
    Installing the ca-certificates package in ubuntu8 (32bit) solved the problem!

FritzBrause is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

I'd suggest to file an RFE to check if this package is installed before the upgrade. Otherwise many admins might run into the same problems.
    Best regards

Andreas Wolske

managedhosting.de GmbH

Zimbra Cloud Hosting, Consulting & Support
    VMware vCloud Powered Serviceprovider

liston13 is offline Intermediate Member

I think I may have been responsible for the initial post with activation problems.
    What I did was...first email my contact at zimbra that sent me my license for 6.0, it was then forwarded on to customer support.

Case was created and a reply was received.

Hello Lane,

I have opened Support case 00064483 to assist you. If you are unable to reach the licensing server, you can do a manual activation of your license using the Zimbra Support Portal.

- Go to support.zimbra.com
    - Under Support Menu go to 'ZCS License'
    - Download the activation file

Then when you attempt to upgrade again use the below command specifying the activation file downloaded.

./install -a activation.xml

While it was nice to receive a reply, the instructions did not help one bit, as the commands given the portal do not work with a 6.0 install...
    So I found my old license and renamed it activation.xml, and placed it in the install directory.

issued the above command
    and the install went smoothly, minus a 'validation error' you have to enter out of.
    once the install was complete, i could issue the commands as instructed and activate the server.

then there was a whole postfix main.cf debacle to which, the main.cf is blank on the 7.0.0 install, so I copied the 6.0.10 main.cf to the 7.0.0 and restarted postfix.

Then everythig, seems to be running smoothly, minus some font issues a few users are seeing.

You need any help, hit me up with a PM.

-best-
    Lane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information