Thread: No notification of mail failure

Marc Wilson is offline Junior Member

Default No notification of mail failure

Hi

Our Zimbra server is working well.

However, I cannot figure out how to set the server to send notification of mail send failures. Two cases illustrate this:
    1. One Outlook client did not have its authentication set to SSL. The mail appeared to send from the client but did not go through. No notification was received by the client.
    2. An employee tryed sending email above the size limit. No notification was received of the failure.

Where might I set up messages informing the sender of failures / bounces?

Thanks in advance

Marc

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wilson View Post
    Hi

Our Zimbra server is working well.

However, I cannot figure out how to set the server to send notification of mail send failures. Two cases illustrate this:
    [*]One Outlook client did not have its authentication set to SSL. The mail appeared to send from the client but did not go through. No notification was received by the client.
    They wouldn't have been able to authenticate if SSL wasn't set on the client and it's required by the server.

[*]An employee tryed sending email above the size limit. No notification was received of the failure.
    They would have been notified that their attachment is too large to send when they added it to their mail message (web UI or another client?).

Where might I set up messages informing the sender of failures / bounces?
    Bounce messages are automatically generated in Zimbra for a failure and the attachment answer is above. You can look in the log files for details of what happened to mail
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Nope - no bounce messages

Hi Bill

I have followed both these through and recreated them. No bounce messages were received.

I would have thought the SSL issue would have merely refused connection. The exact situtation that recreates the issue is the Outlook client is set to SSL but the "Authentication required for SMTP" is not ticked. It seems liek the message has been delivered, but it fails with no bounce message.

With regard to the message size issue, the logs reflect:

Feb 4 10:18:08 GAZASRV4 postfix/smtpd[20959]: 5D14A54DFE: client=unknown[192.168.0.142], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=XXXX
    Feb 4 10:18:09 GAZASRV4 postfix/cleanup[21133]: 5D14A54DFE: message-id=XXXX
    Feb 4 10:18:12 GAZASRV4 postfix/smtpd[20959]: warning: 5D14A54DFE: queue file size limit exceeded
    Feb 4 10:18:16 GAZASRV4 postfix/smtpd[20959]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.0.142]
    No bounce message is generated.

THanks

Marc

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I have followed both these through and recreated them. No bounce messages were received.

I would have thought the SSL issue would have merely refused connection. The exact situtation that recreates the issue is the Outlook client is set to SSL but the "Authentication required for SMTP" is not ticked. It seems liek the message has been delivered, but it fails with no bounce message.
    Bounce messages depend on the receiving server, it can be up-to five days before a user receives a bounce. You need to give exact details of the settings in Outlook and on the server for SSL connections status.

With regard to the message size issue, the logs reflect:

No bounce message is generated.
    Is this also via Outlook or the Web UI? In the web Ui the user receives an error message when they try to upload a message larger than the size allowed. Are these connections via IMAP (if the second one is also Outlook)? See above for bounce messages, on the Zimbra server the setting is also five days.

Are you using Beta 2 as your profile suggests? The current version is Beta 3 although you may want to wait for the GA release which should be out shortly (no, I don't know the exact release date - just in case you were going to ask ) and try again with that release.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Also...

Hi

Apologies - the size issue occurs with an Outlook client.

Marc

Hi Bill

No, we're way beyond five days.

I'll wait for the GA release, although if this is a bug, I hope the fix is in the release as not receiving bounces is quite serious when business users assume the mail has been delivered!

Thanks

Marc

And...

yes it is Oulook using an IMAP connection.

Thread Information