Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Server becoming unresponsive for minutes at a time

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_r_sd View Post
    Thanks again Bill. Are you able to explain how the hosts file change could potentially resolve our issue?
    It has been known to cause all sorts of strange issues but I'd like it to be fixed. Even if it isn't the cause of this specific problem I'd just like to eliminate it from the list.

The A & MX records, I guess, haven't been cleaned up after doing different migrations. We aren't too sure why things are this way but we can certainly tidy this up and remove the unnecessary entries.
    It shouldn't cause you any problems as they all point to the same server, I was just curious.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ryan_r_sd is offline Intermediate Member

We are seeing this for some (not many) email messages. After flushing the deferred queue, they then get delivered.

'host or domain name not found. name service error for name=mail2.billionauto.com type=a: host not found, try again'

We are seeing this for some (not many) email messages. After flushing the deferred queue, they then get delivered.

'host or domain name not found. name service error for name=mail2.billionauto.com type=a: host not found, try again'
    Have you fixed the hosts file? I'd suggest at this stage you try setting-up a DNS server on the Zimbra host itself, make sure it has the valid DNS A & MX records and your resolv.conf should only have the entry for the DNS server on the zimbra machine. It might be that your current DNS server (or your route to it) has problems.
    Regards

Bill

We did fix our hosts file.

Default authentication failed: authentication failure

I had another thread on this problem that fizzled out and died so I wanted to really focus on some more specifics and cover perhaps some new findings on our side.

A quick writeup on our problem is that our mail server, throughout the day, becomes unresponsive. Webmail and POP mail clients can't send or receive mail. Webmail actually just hangs and you cannot even get to the login screen while this is taking place.

We upgraded to version 7 in hopes of remedying this problem without any luck. I would like to post this from our Zimbra logs and then also include that while this is happening, our Zimbra server still makes connections to our mail proxy and accepts mail; which it does not have to authenticate with.

This happens for all users during our outages. Once these errors stop, email access is working again. I appreciate any help that you can send my way. Thanks.

Feb 14 08:28:01 xyz saslauthd[27132]: authentication against url 'https://XYZ.com:7071/service/admin/soap/' caused error 'curl_easy_perform: error(28): SSL connection timeout'
    Feb 14 08:28:01 xyz saslauthd[27132]: url 'https://XYZ.com:7071/service/admin/soap/' will not be used for (at least) 600 seconds
    Feb 14 08:28:01 xyz saslauthd[27132]: Authentication cycle re-elected url https://xyz.com:7071/service/admin/soap/, giving up ...
    Feb 14 08:28:01 xyz saslauthd[27132]: auth_zimbra: xyzuser auth failed: curl_easy_perform: error(28): SSL connection timeout
    Feb 14 08:28:01 xyz saslauthd[27132]: do_auth : auth failure: [user=xyzuser] [service=smtp] [realm=] [mech=zimbra] [reason=Unknown]
    Feb 14 08:28:02 xyz postfix/smtpd[17246]: warning: unknown[10.xxx.xxx.xxx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure

The reason it 'fizzled out' was because I made a suggestion about installing a DNS server on the Zimbra host, you never answered whether you'd done that or not.

I'll merge this thread with the other as it's essentially the same topic.
    Regards

Bill

No, we haven't installed and configured DNS on our Zimbra server. We will discuss it but our DNS server hasn't been problematic. As a workaround, can I enter the IP address in any of the config files? Like where 'https://XYZ.com:7071/service/admin/soap/' appears in our zimbra.log file, would having our server IP in there give us the same troubleshooting steps as installing DNS locally? Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information