Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra 6.0.9 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86_64

murmur77 is offline New Member

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra 6.0.9 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86_64

Hello,

I have a fresh install of Zimbra 6.0.9 installed on a fresh, default install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64-bit):

Code:
    $ zmcontrol -v
    Release 6.0.9_GA_2686.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 NETWORK edition.
    $ uname -a
    Linux mail01.xx 2.6.32-26-server #48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 10:28:32 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ cat /etc/lsb-release 
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS"
    The install is with all the default settings.

I have attempted to use the Zimbra Exchange Migration tool, as well as imapsync, in an attempt to sync a single mailbox over from an Exchange server, to the Zimbra server.

The mailbox is fairly large (1GB), has several folders, and many attachments, although none of them over 5MB.

Both the Zimbra Migration Tool, and imapsync, fail around 30% through the transfer. The error message from the migration tool is: "ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext)"

Interestingly enough, if I attempt any "zmprov" commands while the migration is happening, I find that I periodically will also get this message.

Code:
    $ zmprov gcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext)
    $ zmprov gcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize
    zimbraFileUploadMaxSize: 10485760
    Sometimes Zimbra seems to recover, and other times I have to do a "zmcontrol restart" to be able to access the web interface again.

I am guessing that some sort of resource limit is being reached, due to the many messages being added to the store at the same time?

The hardware is quite beefy; quad core 2.8GHz Xeon CPU with 64GB of RAM, SAS disks, so I don't think the problem is there. The load average barely hits 1.0 during the migration.

I have searched a bit, and have found pointers to checking the output of "ulimit -a", etc. and all seems fine there.

Are there any non-obvious tweaks that I've missed that I need to do in order to make this work? Or a pointer to what log files I should be looking for more clues in? I've poked around in /opt/zimbra/log, but not found anything useful so far.

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

--m7

I've now updated to the latest:

$ zmcontrol -v
    Release 6.0.10_GA_2692.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 NETWORK edition.
    Unfortunately, the error still persists. Digging through mailbox.log reveals:

Code:
    2011-01-12 00:01:36,236 INFO  [btpool0-8://localhost/service/soap/AuthRequest] [oip=xxxx;ua=zclient/6.0.10_GA_2692;] soap - AuthRequest
    2011-01-12 00:01:36,245 INFO  [btpool0-8://localhost/service/soap/AuthRequest] [name=myuser@mydomain.com;oip=xxxx;ua=zclient/6.0.10_GA_2692;] SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Bad file descriptor
    ExceptionId:btpool0-8://localhost/service/soap/AuthRequest:1294790496244:5a43aa20a018e643
    Code:service.FAILURE
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:248)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.externalLdapAuth(LdapProvisioning.java:3554)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.auth.AuthMechanism$LdapAuth.doAuth(AuthMechanism.java:165)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.verifyPasswordInternal(LdapProvisioning.java:3600)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.verifyPassword(LdapProvisioning.java:3573)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.authAccount(LdapProvisioning.java:3439)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.authAccount(LdapProvisioning.java:3418)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.account.Auth.handle(Auth.java:118)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:420)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:274)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:158)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.java:291)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:212)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:181)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHeaderFilter.java:79)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:155)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:418)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DebugHandler.handle(DebugHandler.java:77)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:543)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:939)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:755)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:405)
            at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:413)
            at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)
    Caused by: javax.naming.CommunicationException: Bad file descriptor [Root exception is java.net.SocketException: Bad file descriptor]
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.extendedOperation(LdapCtx.java:3213)
            at javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.extendedOperation(InitialLdapContext.java:164)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.ZimbraLdapContext.ldapAuthenticate(ZimbraLdapContext.java:561)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapUtil.ldapAuthenticate(LdapUtil.java:106)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapUtil.ldapAuthenticate(LdapUtil.java:143)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.externalLdapAuth(LdapProvisioning.java:3537)
            ... 41 more
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Bad file descriptor
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:65)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:123)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.writeRequest(Connection.java:396)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.extendedOp(LdapClient.java:1172)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.extendedOperation(LdapCtx.java:3160)
            ... 46 more
    2011-01-12 00:01:36,251 INFO  [btpool0-0://mail01.zzz.com/zimbra/] [] HttpMethodDirector - I/O exception (java.net.SocketException) caught when processing request: Socket closed
    2011-01-12 00:01:36,251 INFO  [btpool0-0://mail01.zzz.com/zimbra/] [] HttpMethodDirector - Retrying request
    -m7

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by murmur77 View Post
    Unfortunately, the error still persists.
    Try the solution from the forums: site:zimbra.com +"Bad file descriptor" +solved - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

I have managed to solve the problem, using the information I found here:

Bug 42870 – "Bad file descriptor" SocketException causes system failure every several hours

I configured my /etc/security/limits.conf thus:

Code:
    root soft nofile 1048576
    root hard nofile 1048576
    zimbra soft nofile 1048576
    zimbra hard nofile 1048576
    And then restarted zimbra. Both imapsync and the Zimbra Exchange Migration utility are now running without a hiccup, even when run concurrently!

--m7

Thread Information