Thread: Goodbye Zimbra - Hello Google

RevDarkman is offline Senior Member

Default Goodbye Zimbra - Hello Google

As my last problem was never resolved, I decided to move away from Zimbra and let Google take care of my email and file sharing.

Although Google Apps has it's 'issues' I now have reliability. It's a shame, I do like ZImbra but when I offer to pay for an engineer to fix the issue and get no response.........

£2000 gets me loads of user storage, 25GB per user of email, really great calendars, sync with nearly any device and no hassle. for 12 months, that's a paltry £30 per user...
    Last edited by RevDarkman; 01-05-2011 at 03:12 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RevDarkman View Post
    As my last problem was never resolved, I decided to move away from Zimbra and let Google take care of my email and file sharing.

Although Google Apps has it's 'issues' I now have reliability. It's a shame, I do like ZImbra but when I offer to pay for an engineer to fix the issue and get no response.........
    You were waiting for a response from whom? If you emailed Zimbra then you were out of luck, support is only provided for NE customers.

Quote Originally Posted by RevDarkman View Post
    £2000 gets me loads of user storage, 25GB per user of email, really great calendars, sync with nearly any device and no hassle. for 12 months, that's a paltry £30 per user...
    Why, if you were willing to pay that price, did you not install the NE Professional version?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

RevDarkman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why, if you were willing to pay that price, did you not install the NE Professional version?

So I don't have to administer any of it!

I now have single sign on for Docs, Apps, Email. (read Samba, Windows Zimbra) Also I now have zero roaming profile issues as have basically turned each workstation into a clean XP install with Google Chrome and AV as the only bits of software. If Google get their finger out and produce Chrome OS - happy days! Oh and the speed...

My VPN's now have even more bandwidth for my inter office Voip, so they are more reliable, therefore call costs are down.

Believe me I had tried very hard to make Zimbra work, we were all making full use of the Briefcase and Notebook but simply was not good enough for us, perhaps a smaller organisation, or perhaps in a couple of years time....

Oh yes I now have 25GB of email storage per user so can Archive withoutr worry - largest inbox we had was just short of 1GB, most was under 300MB, and mostly below 100MB

I really do wish Zimbra the best, but it just wasn't for us, it was a twelve month trial so can't say we didn't give it a fair go.

fcash is offline Elite Member

Just curious, if you are willing to pay for hosted apps via Google ... why you didn't consider paying for hosted apps via Zimbra. There are several third-party companies that provide hosted Zimbra, where they manage the installs and hardware, and you just manage the CoS setups ... just like with Google Apps.

Just curious.
    Freddie

maxxer is offline Trained Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by fcash View Post
    Just curious, if you are willing to pay for hosted apps via Google ... why you didn't consider paying for hosted apps via Zimbra. There are several third-party companies that provide hosted Zimbra, where they manage the installs and hardware, and you just manage the CoS setups ... just like with Google Apps.
    maybe because he said he had unsolved problems with zimbra?
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

chauvetp is offline Elite Member

Just doesn't seem to be a fair comparison to compare the free unsupported open source version of Zimbra against the paid version of Google Apps.

If the OP is happy with Google, more power to him, but it is really comparing apples to oranges (especially if the problems he was having with Zimbra would have been resolved if he was with a hosted provider who had the experience to support the issue).
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

Thread Information