Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Change OS platform

  1. #1
    tachijuan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Change OS platform

    So - we want to change the OS platform that we run Zimbra on from RedHat 4 (32 bit) to Ubuntu LTS (64 bit) releases (or failing that to Centos). We think we have the right steps in mind, but wanted to double check with the folks here to make sure we don't have any ID10T moments:

    1) shutdown current RH running zimbra instance.
    1.1) Copy all of /opt/zimbra to new server
    1.2) Copy all of /zimbra[x] datastore file systems over to new server (keeping the same file system structures (i.e. don't combine FS/etc.))
    2) install zimbra Ubuntu LTS edition on new server
    3) startup new Ubuntu based coolness

    I know this sounds awfully silly to ask, but we are nervous.

    Is this all the right steps? Anything we missed?


    Thanks for the help and sanity check...

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,498
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tachijuan View Post
    So - we want to change the OS platform that we run Zimbra on from RedHat 4 (32 bit) to Ubuntu LTS (64 bit) releases (or failing that to Centos). We think we have the right steps in mind, but wanted to double check with the folks here to make sure we don't have any ID10T moments:

    1) shutdown current RH running zimbra instance.
    1.1) Copy all of /opt/zimbra to new server
    1.2) Copy all of /zimbra[x] datastore file systems over to new server (keeping the same file system structures (i.e. don't combine FS/etc.))
    2) install zimbra Ubuntu LTS edition on new server
    3) startup new Ubuntu based coolness

    I know this sounds awfully silly to ask, but we are nervous.

    Is this all the right steps? Anything we missed?
    That won't work, you need an LDAP dump to go to 64bit. Forum threads that cover the move: site:zimbra.com +"32bit to 64bit" - Yahoo! Search Results specifically the following article in the wiki: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki - obviously leave out the NE parts of that. I'd also suggest you move to a CentOS server but that's just my preferred choice of distribution.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    tachijuan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Jeez. OK - so this became even a bigger project.

    That's a mess.

    How about if we kept it 32 bit and we wanted to go from RH4 to Centos 4 (32bit)? would the steps above be the complete process then? We'll deal with the 64bit transition when we have more time to plan it appropriately.

    (our RH subscription expired and we don't have the budget for a new one . I know, I know. Production on non-supported stuff)

    Thanks again....

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,498
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tachijuan View Post
    Jeez. OK - so this became even a bigger project.

    That's a mess.
    It isn't a mess, it fairly straightforward.

    Quote Originally Posted by tachijuan View Post
    How about if we kept it 32 bit and we wanted to go from RH4 to Centos 4 (32bit)? would the steps above be the complete process then? We'll deal with the 64bit transition when we have more time to plan it appropriately.
    In my opinion you might as well make the transittion to 64bit now,32bit distributions are deprecated in the next major release of Zimbra (i.e. Zimbra 7) and only 64bit will be supported from the next major release after that. I'd still suggest you migrate to a 64bit CentOS system, do a test run and see how it goes.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. compatibility between Zimbra OS and NE
    By needhelpnow in forum Developers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
  2. Server platform change RH to Ubuntu issues
    By marke in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
  3. [SOLVED] Server migration/move for OS steps I used
    By newmember in forum Migration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
  4. "Must change password" still doest work
    By graffiti in forum Users
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •