Thread: Zimbra account size

Narev is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra account size

Hi there, we just succesfully installed zimbra but it is taking some more diskspace than we anticipated. While this is no problem on its own we would like to know what or who is causing this issue.

What is a good way to quickly find out what zimbra folders or which email accounts are taking to much space and where can i find the size of the zimbra installation?

I already hear some sighing as this is like google hit nr 1 but that script fails for me as i have practically no experience with linux.

Edit: I did a count by hand (we only got about 12 users) and came to the conclusion that our mail only uses about 9 GB. But still i get warnings that our hd is almost full. Which does seem correct but as far as i know only zimbra is installed. What is the size of a clean zimbra install and what else could zimbra do (maby backup or something) that could eat that much diskspace?
    Last edited by Narev; 01-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Narev View Post
    Hi there, we just succesfully installed zimbra but it is taking some more diskspace than we anticipated. While this is no problem on its own we would like to know what or who is causing this issue.

What is a good way to quickly find out what zimbra folders or which email accounts are taking to much space and where can i find the size of the zimbra installation?

I already hear some sighing as this is like google hit nr 1 but that script fails for me as i have practically no experience with linux.
    Which script is this?

Edit: I did a count by hand (we only got about 12 users) and came to the conclusion that our mail only uses about 9 GB. But still i get warnings that our hd is almost full. Which does seem correct but as far as i know only zimbra is installed. What is the size of a clean zimbra install and what else could zimbra do (maby backup or something) that could eat that much diskspace?
    You haven't given much detail about your HD configuration nor where the /opt/zimbra directory structure is located. If it's on your root partition, it shouldn't be. How about starting with the following:

Code:
    df -h
    Have you also looked at some of the threads in the forums that cover this subject?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Which script is this?
    It is the script i found here
    Link

Quote Originally Posted by phonix View Post
    You haven't given much detail about your HD configuration nor where the /opt/zimbra directory structure is located. If it's on your root partition, it shouldn't be. How about starting with the following:

Code:
    df -h
    Have you also looked at some of the threads in the forums that cover this subject?
    After the df it came up with the following. As for the HD configuration i would have to admit that i did not set up the system in the first place, i just installed zimbra on it :] the /opt/zimbra directory is located in my root folder.

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/www-root   39G   36G  688M  99% /
    varrun               1008M   56K 1008M   1% /var/run
    varlock              1008M     0 1008M   0% /var/lock
    udev                 1008M   56K 1008M   1% /dev
    devshm               1008M     0 1008M   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1             236M   45M  179M  21% /boot
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-03-2011 at 08:27 AM.

catnipper is offline Senior Member

From my experience I did the following for 75 users hosting >200 GB data:

1. mounted 2 additional partitions to /mnt/data and /mnt/logs
    2. softlink /opt/zimbra/log -> /mnt/logs/zimbra
    3. use HSM to automatically move mail objects older +30 mintues to HSM volume /mnt/data
    4. use /mnt/data as backup location
    5. select where to store message index in server configuration

see: Addministration -> Configuration -> Servers -> ... -> Volumes

This did help me to easily grow partitions if needed and not to have the / (root) filled 100% by logrotate issues or increasing sync/audit logs.

Code:
    /dev/sda2              58G   11G   44G  20% /
    udev                  4.8G  108K  4.8G   1% /dev
    /dev/sdb1             395G  254G  134G  66% /mnt/data
    /dev/sdd1             197G  4.1G  183G   3% /mnt/logs
    Hope that helps as I also had issues finding the proper size for my disks

After the df it came up with the following. As for the HD configuration i would have to admit that i did not set up the system in the first place, i just installed zimbra on it :] the /opt/zimbra directory is located in my root folder.
    That's not a good place for it to be, as you can see it's 99% full and is shortly going to cause a problem for Zimbra. As a matter of urgency you need to consider moving that somewhere else. Let's see how large the /opt/zimbra directory structure is:

Code:
    df -h /opt/zimbra
    Have you also looked at some of the forum threads that cover this subject?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's not a good place for it to be, as you can see it's 99% full and is shortly going to cause a problem for Zimbra. As a matter of urgency you need to consider moving that somewhere else. Let's see how large the /opt/zimbra directory structure is:

Code:
    df -h /opt/zimbra
    Have you also looked at some of the forum threads that cover this subject?
    Well at the start i was kinda freaking out :] But after i read your post i calmed down a bit and started reading some more forum posts. However as my experience with linux is next to non existing i still could use all the help you guys want to give me :]

Anyway i did some more research and got some others to help me and they tell me its the backup files of zimbra that eat away my diskspace. So the qustion at hand seems to be how to set up zimbra so that it throws away old backups when it succesfully creates a new one.

Well at the start i was kinda freaking out :] But after i read your post i calmed down a bit and started reading some more forum posts. However as my experience with linux is next to non existing i still could use all the help you guys want to give me :]

Anyway i did some more research and got some others to help me and they tell me its the backup files of zimbra that eat away my diskspace. So the qustion at hand seems to be how to set up zimbra so that it throws away old backups when it succesfully creates a new one.
    How many backup files do you have in there? I'd also check in the backup directory to see if you the same number of required backups as you have in the Admin UI. You can remove backups by using the Admin UI but I'd be careful what you remove until you know exactly what you're doing. I'd suggest you read the Administration Guide on Backup and Restore before you make any changes, if you have any questions after reading the documentation then post again.

It would still be advisable to move the /opt/zimbra directory structure off the root partition and preferably onto a RAID10 array for performance.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information