Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra 6.0.6 imap sent folder not syncing

cougarmaster is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra 6.0.6 imap sent folder not syncing

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what must be done to make all external accounts sync with sent folder? As when I send an email with an external account the sent mail is in the primary account and can't sync it with the external account.

Tks in advance
    Eric

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmaster View Post
    Does anyone know what must be done to make all external accounts sync with sent folder? As when I send an email with an external account the sent mail is in the primary account and can't sync it with the external account.
    The use of an external account is an 'aggregation' feature, that means it will collect all your email from external accounts in one mailbox. Sending an email in reply to one of those emails will go via the Zimbra server and the sent mail will reside in the Sent folder of your account. The external account feature does not sync your Zimbra account with an external account, it merely retrieves email.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi phoenix,

Thanks for the reply. So this means that the imap feature is only for retrieving and not for for syncing? Meaning that if I delete mail in the external account it will not be deleted on the server? This is confusing. Then what is the difference from pop and leaving mail on the server?

Tks in advance
    Eric

Thanks for the reply. So this means that the imap feature is only for retrieving and not for for syncing? Meaning that if I delete mail in the external account it will not be deleted on the server? This is confusing.
    I don't really understand why it's confusing. In this context there's no difference between the POP & IMAP retrieval of email. This was added as a feature to Zimbra so each user could retrieve email from multiple external IMAP or POP accounts and view it in the Zimbra interface.

Then what is the difference from pop and leaving mail on the server?
    The IMAP protocol leaves the the email on your external account and the POP protocol has the option to download the mail end (or) delete it from the server.

The point about this feature is that it is purely for mail retrieval, it's not a general purpose email client.
    Regards

Bill

Hi phoenix,
    So basically zimbra won't be able to do imap sync and if I need those features I will need to look else where then? Bummer anyway thanks for the info. Need to let my client know and start searching again.

Tks for the help and replies
    Eric

So basically zimbra won't be able to do imap sync and if I need those features I will need to look else where then? Bummer anyway thanks for the info. Need to let my client know and start searching again.
    If all you want to do is synchronise several different accounts then why don't you use Zimbra Desktop to sync your Zimbra account and all your external accounts in one place?
    Regards

Bill

Can you elaborate your idea?

Tks in advance
    Eric

Can you elaborate your idea?
    Just use the Zimbra Desktop as your mail client instead of (or as well as) the Zimbra Web UI. You can define any number of accounts in ZD and it will synchronise the email from them and reflect any changes you make in the mail account on the respective servers - there is also a 'combined Inbox' where you can view the email from the accounts in one place instead of having to move between them. Those accounts can be on Zimbra server or any external IMAP or POP3 account although I'd always recommend you use them as IMAP accounts, if you have the choice, and leave the mail on the servers.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks for the idea. As of now it is being done this way without the zimbra server. They wanted a web based solution as to not use any clients. I appreciate the advice and solutions you have given me. I do have serveral zimbra server for other clients running quite ok except that they will be stuck on ZCS 6.0.6 as any version above that cannot access external accounts and still finding what the problem is. I will leave that on another thread.

Tks for all the help greatly appreciate it
    Eric

Thread Information