Thread: Migrate ZCS6.0 to New ZCS6.0 How to ?

jitender.sakarwal is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Migrate ZCS6.0 to New ZCS6.0 How to ?

ZCS 6.0 To New ZCS 6.0 Migration

Note:- This is the Tested and Live Document at ?.
    Before taking ZCS to New Server you have keep few things in mind and these action will be done before taking action.

Method For Open Source Edition Users

1.This migration is done with rsync command.
    2.Check the proper size of /opt/zimbra folder and copy on new server with below command.
    3.Check and add same host-name on new Server.
    4.Configure the proper DNS as old Server.

Activity of Work at New Sever:- (eg 10.0.16.12)

1.On new server, install the same version of ZCS and Keep the "hostname" and "zmhostname" same as old server.
    2.Stop ZCS on new server using "zmcontrol stop".
    3.Copy the zimbra.bak file to the new server. ( Note:- This backup can have on running environment of old server on New Server with below command, eg 10.0.16.11 is our old Zimnba running Server).
    4.# rsync -avHK 10.0.16.11:/opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra.bak (Note:- This command can be call from New Server on running instance of old server in Live Condition)
    5.When Final Backup will be done, you have again rsync the data on New Server.
    6.If you now totally confidence that backup has done on New Server, you have to now take these action.
    7.Stop the Zimbra Services on Live Server for a min on old server using "zmcontrol stop".
    8.Now copy the zimbra.bak file to the new server again, with rsync command. ( rsync -avHK 10.0.16.11:/opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra.bak).
    9.Now we have to restore the data of old server to new server.
    10.Move the complete zimbra directory of old configuration and restore the new zimbra.bak directory.
    11.# mv /opt/zimba /opt/zimbra_org_27_Nov_10
    12.# mv /opt/zimbra.bak/zimbra /opt/zimbra
    13.Now your server is ready and you can start the services.
    14.$ zmcontrol start
    15.$ zmcontrol status

Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

cayaraa is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by jitender.sakarwal View Post
    ZCS 6.0 To New ZCS 6.0 Migration

4.# rsync -avHK 10.0.16.11:/opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra.bak (Note:- This command can be call from New Server on running instance of old server in Live Condition)
    5.When Final Backup will be done, you have again rsync the data on New Server.
    6.If you now totally confidence that backup has done on New Server, you have to now take these action.
    7.Stop the Zimbra Services on Live Server for a min on old server using "zmcontrol stop".
    8.Now copy the zimbra.bak file to the new server again, with rsync command. ( rsync -avHK 10.0.16.11:/opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra.bak).

Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

So is rsyncing twice (once with the "old" zimbra server up and once with old zimbra server down) works without causing any issues? I'm actually more interested just in the index and store if that makes a difference. We have an old slow SAN and we want to migrate our data store and index to the new SAN but its going to take a *long* time....and we'd like to not have to have zimbra down the whole time. We're wondering if doing a live rsync to get the bulk of the data copied over while zimbra is still running and then shutting zimbra down to run a final cold sync and then switching the mount points is safe.

I've seen lots of other posts with rsync but they all talk about it with zimbra shut down. This is the only one I've seen talking about doing it this way.

Thanks.

jitender.sakarwal is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cayaraa View Post
    So is rsyncing twice (once with the "old" zimbra server up and once with old zimbra server down) works without causing any issues? I'm actually more interested just in the index and store if that makes a difference. We have an old slow SAN and we want to migrate our data store and index to the new SAN but its going to take a *long* time....and we'd like to not have to have zimbra down the whole time. We're wondering if doing a live rsync to get the bulk of the data copied over while zimbra is still running and then shutting zimbra down to run a final cold sync and then switching the mount points is safe.

I've seen lots of other posts with rsync but they all talk about it with zimbra shut down. This is the only one I've seen talking about doing it this way.

Thanks.
    Hi,

This is my tested doucument which I have posted and done at my level, withour any issue.
    Yes you can done rsync twice in any condition without any issue.
    Use the correct command which I have write on forums.
    after all your backup is come on on another server, which U want to make Live. you have need just a max. downtime of 15 min to again rsync on live server.
    when again rsync is done, you can easly live the server without any issue .. with my below documents.
    issue regarding index, and store it will now make any issue,. because I have build this evironment around 10time without any issue and live also.

Thread Information