Thread: [SOLVED] Changing Internet Provider/new ip block

mickier is offline Loyal Member

Default [SOLVED] Changing Internet Provider/new ip block

I have been looking on the forum and on google before posting this question, but haven't found the answer yet, so here goes:

I am getting switched over to a new ISP, and with it, I'm getting new ip addresses.
    My question is; what is the best/proper way to change over in zimbra with the least margin for troubles...?

Obviously once I list my new ip address with my master dns (networksolutions), there will be a period of time where some people will search for me at the new address, while others are still talking to me at the old one... I realize this is temporary, but since many of my users are traveling, they may "lose me" for a few hours.....

Here are two ways I've considered;
    first, I could change my dns record, wait for a couple hours and change the address on my zimbra external NIC, (and of course update postconf mynetworks and zmprov setserver zimbraMtaMyNetworks.) and just wait a few hours for everything to get back to normal,

Or, since I'm using Vmware, I could fairly easily add another NIC, and set the new ip address to it, and then update my dns record. Then after about 48 hours, I should be able to stop the old NIC.

But I really don't want any issues, so I'm askin' for input on the best way to deal with this...
    Thanks in advance!

LMStone is offline Moderator

Zimbra doesn't code your IP address anywhere (unlike your server's hostname), so just so long as all of the server config files and DNS used by Zimbra are updated correctly, you should be fine. Here's one post that provides more details.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thank you!

Default Not quite true in PRACTICE!

Actually, here's what I found; the LDAP server DOES code your IP address, and it does fail to start up unless you set it to your new ip address.
    (Technically someone might argue that that's not really zimbra... I don't know), but on a practical level, this command MUST be issued for LDAP to start up after you change to the new address:

$ zmprov modifyServer myserver.foobar.com ZimbraMtaMyNetworks '127.0.0.1/8 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx'

I point this out because NUMEROUS SUPPORT POSTS SAY that "zimbra doesn't code your ip address anywhere,"

I wish people would please stop saying that! or at least point out why I and several other posters have run into this issue.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mickier View Post
    Actually, here's what I found; the LDAP server DOES code your IP address, and it does fail to start up unless you set it to your new ip address.
    (Technically someone might argue that that's not really zimbra... I don't know), but on a practical level, this command MUST be issued for LDAP to start up after you change to the new address:

$ zmprov modifyServer myserver.foobar.com ZimbraMtaMyNetworks '127.0.0.1/8 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx'

I point this out because NUMEROUS SUPPORT POSTS SAY that "zimbra doesn't code your ip address anywhere,"

I wish people would please stop saying that! or at least point out why I and several other posters have run into this issue.
    You are of course correct, and my original post presumed (incorrectly!) that you had a split DNS environment.

In that case, the ZimbraMtaMyNetworks variable would be the localhost Class A network plus the NAT'd private IP network(s), which would not have changed when you changed your public IPs.

Glad you got things working, and I appreciate your follow up post!

With best regards,
    Mark

blueflametuna is offline Senior Member

Default Curious about the 2nd NIC interface idea?

Sorry for replying to a SOLVED thread, but ...

I am also changing the IP address of my server. It has two NIC interfaces.
    I would like to avoid the propagation delay in DNS if possible.

Can I configure the second interface to be the new address and will Zimbra send/receive appropriately? I think I read that Zimbra will listen on all interfaces, but will only reply on the currently resolving MX address.

Or am I just better off changing the TTL in DNS to a short time period first?

Thread Information