Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: [SOLVED] Recommended upgrade procedure on HA (DRBD & Heartbeat)

  1. #1
    ekkas is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    5

    Default [SOLVED] Recommended upgrade procedure on HA (DRBD & Heartbeat)

    I have 2 Zimbra servers running in a remote datacentre, 1 (primary) on a physical server and 1 on a Virtual (Xen) server that replicates via DRBD and have HA with Heartbeat.

    They are on 6.0.5_GA_2213.RHEL5_64_20100203001950 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition and I'd like to upgrade them to latest version.

    It's easy to just upgrade the main server, but then if a failover happens, I think that the outdated secondary server will have problems?

    I need some advice on upgrade procedures as this is a mission critical servers(s) and I cannot afford long downtimes... nor something that broke because of the upgrade.

    Thanks in advance

    Ekkas

    PS: Can I just run a 'dummy' install on a temp /opt folder on the secondary using './install.sh -s' ? Then delete the dummy /opt?

  2. #2
    maxxer's Avatar
    maxxer is offline Trained Alumni
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lecco, Italy
    Posts
    554
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    i found a blog post about that somewhere...

    but in the end it's as you say.
    iirc the post said you should upgrade the main zimbra, then failover to the backup and install -s there.
    but I guess the dummy install will do the same, as all binaries should be in the shared disk
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

  3. #3
    Himanshu is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekkas View Post
    I have 2 Zimbra servers running in a remote datacentre, 1 (primary) on a physical server and 1 on a Virtual (Xen) server that replicates via DRBD and have HA with Heartbeat.

    They are on 6.0.5_GA_2213.RHEL5_64_20100203001950 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition and I'd like to upgrade them to latest version.

    It's easy to just upgrade the main server, but then if a failover happens, I think that the outdated secondary server will have problems?

    I need some advice on upgrade procedures as this is a mission critical servers(s) and I cannot afford long downtimes... nor something that broke because of the upgrade.

    Thanks in advance

    Ekkas

    PS: Can I just run a 'dummy' install on a temp /opt folder on the secondary using './install.sh -s' ? Then delete the dummy /opt?
    So which Option You selected for the Upgrade ? & how was the experience..?

  4. #4
    ekkas is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I updated primary server, then shut it down (after sync complete) to make secondary the primary, then ran install again to upgrade secondary, then start up primary again, wait for sync to complete, make it primary.
    No problems.

  5. #5
    Himanshu is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekkas View Post
    I updated primary server, then shut it down (after sync complete) to make secondary the primary, then ran install again to upgrade secondary, then start up primary again, wait for sync to complete, make it primary.
    No problems.
    Ok.

    1.What was the option while running install script on secondary server?
    Was it install -s ?
    2. Was zimbra service up while install on secondary ?

  6. #6
    ekkas is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I did full install on both.
    1) Disable zimbra on startup for secondary. (Zimbra not running unless it becomes primary, but tempiorarily disable it)
    2) Upgrade primary.
    3) Wait for DRBD sync to complete
    4) Stop Zimbra on primary
    5) Make secondary the new primary (zimbra still stopped)
    6) While (old)Zimbra(packages) is NOT running on (old) secondary, install update.
    7) Start up zimbra on either side(or both sides in turn) and test.
    8) All should be ok.

    I think most important is just to NOT start old binaries on updated Zimbra install. So when you do update, make sure other side Zimbra cannot start untill it is also updated.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. DRBD & Heartbeat not quite working as expected
    By DougWare in forum Installation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM
  2. 5.0.4 upgrade backup procedure; prevent new mail during upgrade?
    By adam.vollrath in forum Administrators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 07:51 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
  4. upgrade 4.0.0 -> 4.0.1 recommended?
    By koby in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •