Thread: How to use custom sender when sending an email. (To get rid of spam)

pivert is offline Member

Default How to use custom sender when sending an email. (To get rid of spam)

Hi,

I use to give a different email address to every web site I leave my email address. So, I would like to know :
    - How can I enter a custom sender email address (ie msn@mydomain.com or zimbra@mydomain.com) ?
    - How can I activate that Zimbra will by default reuse the same sender address when I have a reply to one of my sent mail ?

P.S. : I have of course a 'catch all' setup.
    P.S. : Persona are too heavy to use for every new email I create/write.

Regards,

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pivert View Post
    Hi,

I use to give a different email address to every web site I leave my email address. So, I would like to know :
    - How can I enter a custom sender email address (ie msn@mydomain.com or zimbra@mydomain.com) ?
    - How can I activate that Zimbra will by default reuse the same sender address when I have a reply to one of my sent mail ?
    The answer to that is use a Persona.

P.S. : I have of course a 'catch all' setup.
    Why 'of course you have a catch-all'? That's a spammers dream, you'll get more spam if you use a catch-all and the Zimbra anti-spam can't stop it.

P.S. : Persona are too heavy to use for every new email I create/write.
    Then how else would you expect to do it? You'll have to have some initial manual method whereby you create the different email Persona addresses.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

pivert is offline Member

Hi Phoenix,

- "Catch all" setup is a dream for me, and a nightmare for spammers, because they don't know my domain. I receive quite to no spam. In 5 years I had to blacklist only 10 of my emails that were used by spammers, and this showed me immediately who/which site has leaks or sold my email, including openvpn@mydomain, mysql@mydomain, microsoft@mydomain, ...

- I do not want to be obliged to create a persona everytime I use a new email address (multiple time a day). Most of the time, the email is just used once. I just want instead to have a free 'from:' field when I just put the email I send from (ideally with the @mydomain fixed).

- An other important feature would be to automatically use the destination email address as from email when replying. Kmail had these features.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

- "Catch all" setup is a dream for me, and a nightmare for spammers, because they don't know my domain. I receive quite to no spam. In 5 years I had to blacklist only 10 of my emails that were used by spammers, and this showed me immediately who/which site has leaks or sold my email, including openvpn@mydomain, mysql@mydomain, microsoft@mydomain, ...
    I think you're misunderstanding what a catch-all is. It allows spammers to send you a ton of email and you will have no method of stopping because a catch-all (by definition) will accept all email sent to your domain.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information