Thread: /opt/zimbra/redologs/archive is about 47gb

VTC
    VTC is offline Senior Member

Default /opt/zimbra/redologs/archive is about 47gb

/opt/zimbra/redologs/archive is about 47gb on an 80gb partition.

This is our backupmail server so we do not perform backups. Can I just clear out the logs in this folder? Is their a way to have the system only keep 10days of logs?

I found this variable zimbraRedoLogRolloverMinFileAge, where the default is 60.
    If I were to change this to 10 would it keep the archived log file count to only 10days?

Klug is online now Moderator

There are threads (at least one) on the forum about this.
    Or maybe it's in the release notes, I can't remember.

Redologs are usualy deleted by incremental backups but IIRC there's a way to "clean" them even if you don't backup (or incremental backup).

VTC

Well I tried manually removing the archive logs but about 3 days later the machine went kookoo and the mailboxd starting crashing after about 4-5 minutes after restart. I reverted the machine to prior state just incase i broke something.

If I were to just disable redologs, (since this is a backupmail server) are their any major issues with doing so?

Klug is online now Moderator

If you're really sure you want to disable them, you can.
    See : Disable NE redologs for migration?

VTC

Well I guess to put it into perspective, my archive logs go all the way back to May 5th 2010. Since Im not doing backups, which help flush this (I presume), id like to set a variable that keeps logs for only 30days.

I though zimbraRedoLogRolloverMinFileAge variable would do this, its default is 60, but clearly its not working as i have over 180days worth of logs. I already tried removing the logs but the system went crazy for some reason and rather than spending hours trying to fix the fix, i figured to revert and see if there was a better way.

Our backup mail server only keeps 30days worth of email

VTC

After digging through the logs and documentation I believe i may have found a solution.

In my case zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover was set to false. I would assume without this feature enabled and without doing backups this will allow the archive folder to continuously grow till it fills the partition up? So I enable this variable and set zimbraRedoLogRolloverMinFileAge to a smaller window (30days) and I believe i just contained my data seepage?

ewilen is offline Moderator

If you haven't already, you might want to look at Of backups and restoration
    Also How to force redo.log rotation? might help.

Personally, a sure-fire way to keep your redologs under control would be to enable backups. Since scheduled backups can include deletion of old backups, you could just set a very short deletion horizon. It's a clumsy way to herd files into the trash, but you can be sure it won't break anything.

That said, the above links probably offer a more elegant way of setting things up.

Thread Information