Thread: Downgrade Zimbra 7 beta 1 to ZCS 6.0.8

oliver2uk is offline Senior Member

Default Downgrade Zimbra 7 beta 1 to ZCS 6.0.8

Hi guys,

is it possible to downgrade Zimbra 7 beta back to the ZCS 6.0.8?

Unfortunately, the beta have proved to cause more problems than solve. It's great, but uses too much memory, amavis resets always to 10 threads and does not keep my settings and I am getting lots of emails with resource errors.

Many thanks.

Oliver

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by oliver2uk View Post
    is it possible to downgrade Zimbra 7 beta back to the ZCS 6.0.8?
    Absolutely not. Did you take a backup of your /opt/zimbra directory before you did the upgrade?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I thought that that would be the answer as there are some major changes.

In my previous post:

Excessive resource usage: zimbra

I have mentioned some of my problems, but nobody answered. Maybe you can help? Here is it again, just in case:

I have recently upgraded to Zimbra 7 beta version and experiencing some issues which I need to deal with but nothing works. I have:

Release 7.0.0_BETA1_2816.DEBIAN5_64 DEBIAN5_64 FOSS edition.

Now, I have started to receive emails like:

Time: Fri Nov 5 11:33:28 2010 -0400
    Account: zimbra
    Resource: Virtual Memory Size
    Exceeded: 205 > 200 (MB)
    Executable: /usr/bin/perl
    Command Line: amavisd (virgin child)
    PID: 13570
    Killed: No

and:

Time: Fri Nov 5 11:32:19 2010 -0400
    Account: zimbra
    Resource: Virtual Memory Size
    Exceeded: 359 > 200 (MB)
    Executable: /opt/zimbra/mysql-standard-5.1.50-pc-linux-gnu-i686-glibc23/libexec/mysqld
    Command Line: /opt/zimbra/mysql/libexec/mysqld --defaults-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf --basedir=/opt/zimbra/mysql --datadir=/opt/zimbra/db/data --external-locking --log-error=/opt/zimbra/log/mysql_error.log --pid-file=/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.pid --socket=/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock --port=7306
    PID: 11919
    Killed: No

with subject as in the title of this thread.

Also, I have tried to change the amount of running amavis processes to 2 from 10, but, believe it or not it will change itself back (in the conf) file to 10!

This uses too much memory, the VPS I run zimbra on has got 2GB RAM only, previous version, slightly tweaked 6.0.8 did not have any problems and generally used about 1GB of RAM.

Can anybody help me here please with the emails which are coming it like every minute (and multiples of them) plus how to reduce the amavis processes to 2 from 10 in Zimbra 7?

Many thanks.

Oliver

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

A VPS is not recommended for Zimbra, however, did you make the same changes to the Beta that you made to your previous installation? I assume that meant disabling the logger etc.?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I am aware that VPS is not recommended, however I have been successfully running zimbra in the virtual environment since version 5 with no problems at all. I used to have version 4.5 on a dedicated hardware.

Anyway, yes, I have done similar if not the same modifications for version 7 as I had on version 6.x.x.

The biggest problem I now have is that modifying amavis.conf does nothing as every time you restart zimbra services it resets the number of threads to 10 from my value - 2.

Maybe the other issues are related to the modifications I have done so Zimbra will use as little memory as possible. My VPS have 2GB RAM, Zimbra now uses almost 1.7GB, version 6 used to use barely 900MB with great performance. Now all is sluggish and Zimbra works hard as it needs to process about 2-3 emails per seconds - local emails generated to tell me about the problem with the Virtual Memory Size.

Have you got any ideas what to do? Many thanks.

liverpoolfcfan is offline Outstanding Member

Quote Originally Posted by oliver2uk View Post
    The biggest problem I now have is that modifying amavis.conf does nothing as every time you restart zimbra services it resets the number of threads to 10 from my value - 2.
    Are you modifying amavisd.conf or amavisd.conf.in

zimbra uses the information in the .in file to rebuild the .conf file on every restart.

I was modifying amavisd.conf. Thanks for your help. By modifying .in file I was able to sort it out. That was very helpful.

Also, I have unistalled LDF service which stopped sending the huge number of emails out.

By installing razor and pyzor I was able to decrease the amount of spam received with help of RBL's.

Zimbra 7 is now using in average 1GB RAM and all is nice and smooth again. There are few more niggle issues but generaly all is running without any problems. Debian Lenny 5 64bit which I have on the VPS is not 100% suitable for zimbra as I had to modify some files to make logger and stats work.

Let's hope Zimbra 7 GA will sort as many issues as possible.

Thread Information