Thread: Finally "apt-get install zimbra" for Ubuntu Dapper released!!!

Bjoeboo is offline New Member

Thumbs up Finally "apt-get install zimbra" for Ubuntu Dapper released!!!

It hurts to be lied to doesn't it? Hurt.. angry.. very very angry .....

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We plan to make Ubuntu better as it's on our list to make an official build.

Ubuntu Breezy Hack.
    Is this KevinH guy still working there? This was 5 months ago.

FunkyPenguin is offline Special Member

Bjoeboo,

I think you'll find KevinH is very much still at Zimbra - he's one of the lead engineers (sorry if I'm under valuing you here Kevin , and also one of the forum admins.

It may have taken a while as Ubuntu isn't necesseraly the distro that most paying customers are using. I think you'll find that RHEL is the leader there, and as those customers keep Zimbra ticking that's where the bulk of development work goes. Remember Zimbra is a business and as such aims to make money.

(HELPFUL HINT)
    Try and be a bit more constructive with your critisism and complaints please, this way people will be more receptive and try and help you out more. Going guns blazing tends to alienate you from the rest of the community.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoeboo

Where, exactly, in the quote does it give a date or deadline for the release of a Ubuntu build? I think you need to get real, it's only software after all.

The release of a ubuntu version of Zimbra will be available shortly according to this post from this thread

Perhaps you'd have found that if you'd done a search of the forum instead of having a tantrum like a spoilt child.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Its interesting to see the typical users and their respective attitudes (usually inextricably linked to their technical knowledge/experience and their likelihood to buy products/support) of different linux distros. I think this is a good example of why zimbra hasn't bothered with distros such as ubuntu and gentoo so far...

KevinH is offline Expert Member

For the record I do still work here(just a couple thousand posts behind, since I took a couple weeks of vacation). We work on our OS ports in order of commercial importance. That means we rank them by those who are actually willing to pay for commercial support, since we at the end of the day need to pay rent. That said SuSE ES10, Ubuntu, Solaris, etc are all highly rank ports we want to get done. Still don't have a firm date but since there is a simple work around to install the Debian version I don't think it should cause you *that* much pain. If it does and your willing to pay please contact our sales team. They'd be happy to record your interest. We have a nice long list of folks who are willing to pay for platforms we don't support today and adding yourself will put in a vote (as in $$$) behind your OS of choice.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

jrh
    jrh is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2
    I think this is a good example of why zimbra hasn't bothered with distros such as ubuntu and gentoo so far...
    That's about as helpful a comment as the original poster's tone conveyed.

I too am awaiting the new ubuntu installation. I have a test ubuntu vserver working with the debian files, but with the wait a week comment I postponed the 4.0 upgrade and eventual live rollout. I also sent an email off to the sales team saying I would happily pay for a small business network version of ubuntu a month ago. Hoping eventually one comes, I could really use the backup features and outlook connectivity.

Thread Information