Thread: best of the lot

wooby is offline Loyal Member

Question best of the lot

Found many appliance for filtering in the market. Can i have help in some of the few what are our customers are using. Sonicwall ES400 email security appliance, baraccuda,titan spam.Our firm has around 10000+ users.

Thanks in advance.

cmcbride is offline Intermediate Member

I'm not sure that Zimbra needs a spam filter appliance installed in front of it, if it's correctly setup. But here's my experience with these types of things.

I've got alot of customers who have Exchange servers who are using a hosted spam filtering service. Postini (google), MXLogic, AppRiver, RedCondor are the ones I've used. At the spam filtering level they all do a pretty fair job, but mainly differ in support levels. Postini has almost no direct support, whereas with MXLogic you can actually talk to a person fairly quickly, and a small service like RedCondor answers the phone directly. But Postini probably scales the best for large enterprises. Interestingly enough the fact that it's a Google service is starting to become a disadvantage as we've had some very specific malware attacks get through Postini, and because they're so large, they're a very attractive target.

For appliances, Barracuda's is the preferred one. I don't have direct experience supporting it, but the company generally has good support, and I've found their BarracudaCentral BRBL to be very good in blocking spam when added to Zimbra.

With such a high User base you probably should look at Cisco Ironport. It has alot of features you're likely to want in a large enterprise, and can likely afford to pay for.

wooby is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmcbride View Post
    I'm not sure that Zimbra needs a spam filter appliance installed in front of it, if it's correctly setup. But here's my experience with these types of things.

I've got alot of customers who have Exchange servers who are using a hosted spam filtering service. Postini (google), MXLogic, AppRiver, RedCondor are the ones I've used. At the spam filtering level they all do a pretty fair job, but mainly differ in support levels. Postini has almost no direct support, whereas with MXLogic you can actually talk to a person fairly quickly, and a small service like RedCondor answers the phone directly. But Postini probably scales the best for large enterprises. Interestingly enough the fact that it's a Google service is starting to become a disadvantage as we've had some very specific malware attacks get through Postini, and because they're so large, they're a very attractive target.

For appliances, Barracuda's is the preferred one. I don't have direct experience supporting it, but the company generally has good support, and I've found their BarracudaCentral BRBL to be very good in blocking spam when added to Zimbra.

With such a high User base you probably should look at Cisco Ironport. It has alot of features you're likely to want in a large enterprise, and can likely afford to pay for.
    Does anybody use Spam FIlter for their Zimbra?
    Hope you can provide with the common used filter appliance.

Is anyone using SpamTitan as well?

Expecting your fast response.

Thread Information