Thread: Zimbra 7.0 beta feature questions.

millerdc is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra 7.0 beta feature questions.

I just setup ZCS 7.0 beta1 and wanted to get some clarifications on a new feature listed in the release notes. Here is the description.

Implemented access control policy for distribution lists to prevent an unauthorized user from sending using the distribution list. (Bug 9620)

It does not appear that there is any UI controls for this in the web admin interface. Going through the bug report there is an entry on using zmprov to set permissions. After creating a distribution list and adding a couple of users I wanted to check the permissions. I tried using the command to check permissions listed in the bug comments but it only shows that admins are allowed to send to the list. However, Any user on the server can send to the list when I test it in the web client. Here is the command I'm using to check.

zmprov ckr dl testlist@domain user@domain sendToDistList

It only comes back with either ALLOWED for admin accounts or DENIED for regular user accounts. Is there anyplace except the bug entry that explains how these controls are suppose to work?

Thanks.

Wow, nobody? Is there no one testing or care for this feature now? It got the highest votes for this release.

I'm back after upgrading from beta1 to beta2. The release notes still show the same thing. How are we suppose to test this stuff if there is no clear documentation on how to use the new features. Of course some are obvious and seem to work as described in the release notes. However, there are other features that sound obvious but do not work. For example..

"Distribution lists have the option to display all distribution members using an expand link. You can then select all addresses contained in the list, or an individual address. Note: When the Internal ZWC GAL is used, users must have rights to see the members of a distribution list to see the expand link. (bug 7554)."

When I start typing the name of a distribution list in the to field and it pops up auto completes from the GAL I don't see any link to expand the distribution list. Is there a draft version of the admin guide or users guide for 7.0 somewhere?

Default Help with Zimbra 7.0 new features.

I created a thread back when Zimbra 7 beta1 was released about the access control of distribution lists. Here is a link to it.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...questions.html

Not one reply.. We are now on beta3 and I still do not know how to work with the access controls for distribution lists. I noticed that another feature actually wasn't implemented in the web client at all until beta3. The ability to expand a distribution list to the actual recipients with a link. It does not work however and gives me a permission error on any account that is in a DL. The expand link was not there in beta2 even though the release notes say it was. So I'm a bit confused what is and is not suppose to be working. Does anyone know if the access controls to distribution lists are going to be in the admin web console or only available via command line?

blazeking is offline Advanced Member

I'm trying to setup permissions per new options in Bug 9620. In the release notes, I see:

Administrators can define which users are authorized to send messages to
    a distribution list. The default is all users can send to all distribution lists.
    The Milter Server needs to be enabled via the server MTA tab in the
    administration console to restrict access. (Bug 9620, 46311, 50348)

OK, once Milter Server is enabled, where and how do I actually setup the permissions/restrictions to DLs?

UPDATE: Nevermind - I see the answer in comment #88 of https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9620. This is CLI only, no UI.

Thread Information