Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: [SOLVED] Relay access denied

  1. #1
    get2guy is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    5

    Default [SOLVED] Relay access denied

    Hi all.

    I'm getting complaints from a remote user.

    He receive an error while sending mails to outside of our domain. for example- gmail.com addresses

    the error that he receives is:
    554 5.7.1 <gilmorofk@gmail>: Relay access denied

    I understand what is an open relay and our server is not an open relay.
    but this is new errors. until a week ago it was working perfectly.

    Thanks in advanced.
    Guy

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,566
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by get2guy View Post
    Hi all.

    I'm getting complaints from a remote user.

    He receive an error while sending mails to outside of our domain. for example- gmail.com addresses

    the error that he receives is:
    554 5.7.1 <gilmorofk@gmail>: Relay access denied

    I understand what is an open relay and our server is not an open relay.
    but this is new errors. until a week ago it was working perfectly.

    Thanks in advanced.
    Guy
    You need to post more of the error messages than an out-of-context single line. Does the user use port 587 on your server as his Suibmission port (he should), he'll also need to authenticate using that port. Make that change and have him try again and post any further error messages (or search the forums for details on this subject).
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    get2guy is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You need to post more of the error messages than an out-of-context single line. Does the user use port 587 on your server as his Suibmission port (he should), he'll also need to authenticate using that port. Make that change and have him try again and post any further error messages (or search the forums for details on this subject).
    Thanks for the reply.

    We are using defailt pop3 ports (110,25) is that wrong to do?
    Do i need to configure something on the server to change port 25 to 587?

    about the error masage her is all the text:

    From: System Administrator
    To: Oferekpe (Abakaliki) Gilmor
    Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:51 AM
    Subject: Undeliverable: Gabriel Ogaba - October Salary

    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

    Subject: Re: Gabriel Ogaba - October Salary
    Sent: The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

    Oferekpe (Abakaliki) Gilmor on 28/10/2010 8:51 AM
    554 5.7.1 <gilmorofk@gmail>: Relay access denied

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,566
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by get2guy View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    We are using defailt pop3 ports (110,25) is that wrong to do?
    It's not good practice to use Port 25 for mail submission as you're finding out. You should also not be using pop3 for external connections, it should be POP3S on port 995 for security.

    Quote Originally Posted by get2guy View Post
    Do i need to configure something on the server to change port 25 to 587?
    No you don't, just on the client.

    Quote Originally Posted by get2guy View Post
    about the error masage her is all the text:

    From: System Administrator
    To: Oferekpe (Abakaliki) Gilmor
    Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:51 AM
    Subject: Undeliverable: Gabriel Ogaba - October Salary

    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

    Subject: Re: Gabriel Ogaba - October Salary
    Sent: The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

    Oferekpe (Abakaliki) Gilmor on 28/10/2010 8:51 AM
    554 5.7.1 <gilmorofk@gmail>: Relay access denied
    It's error messages from the log files that are more important but try the change first then see what happens.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    soxfan is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    965
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Just want to point out that in the error messages you've posted the email address is "gilmorofk@gmail". Shouldn't this be "gilmorofk@gmail.com"? Might be other issues going on, but in this example at least it could be as simple as a bad / incomplete address that is the cause of the problem.

  6. #6
    get2guy is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It's not good practice to use Port 25 for mail submission as you're finding out. You should also not be using pop3 for external connections, it should be POP3S on port 995 for security.

    I tried to change the ports to 995 and 587 but then i could not send mail i tried 465 ssl and its working but i still cannot send mail outside of my domain.

    On outlook I'm getting the same error like before

    No you don't, just on the client.

    It's error messages from the log files that are more important but try the change first then see what happens.
    How can i get the server logs on that matter? i will be happy to post them but i don't know where they are

  7. #7
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,566
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by get2guy View Post
    How can i get the server logs on that matter? i will be happy to post them but i don't know where they are
    DId you set the POP3 server to use a secure connection in the Admin UI? What error did the user see when they tried to submit mail using port 587 as the submission port (it also requires a secure connection)? You will find details of errors in the log files.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  8. #8
    get2guy is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    5

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    DId you set the POP3 server to use a secure connection in the Admin UI? What error did the user see when they tried to submit mail using port 587 as the submission port (it also requires a secure connection)? You will find details of errors in the log files.
    On port 587 the client could not send at all, only to receive the error was could not connect to remote server

    I tried tweaking outlook configuration on 995\465 and it works. now i can send mails outside my domain.

    Is it OK (secure) to use 465? or should i try to solve 587?

    Thank you very much on the log link. Finlay i can take a look at the server side errors.

    I must say that you are the best replier to my posted question's. thanks for the help!

  9. #9
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,566
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    It won't cause any problems using port 465 but 587 is the preferred port. As port 587 is available by default you can try a test setting it up with another client, there are several threads in the forums that cover the problem of connecting to port 587 if you want to have a look and if you still have problems just post again.

    [EDIT] If the only error you're is seeing 'can't connect' the check if the port is being forwarded correctly to the server.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Relay Access Denied
    By mmj1000 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
  2. Relay Access Denied, Help!
    By jpcaldwell in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
  3. Relay Access Denied
    By AutootuA in forum Administrators
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
  4. Backup issues
    By telescop in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
  5. Move server to different OS
    By EriSan500 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 01:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •