Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to any pop3

kurt is offline Member

Default Can't connect to any pop3

I have installed Zimbra 6.0.8 (several times now) and can't get it to connect to a pop3 external account. My current setup is CentOS 5.5, I'm on a public IP address, no firewall or SELinux (disabled). I can connect using Thunderbird from the server. When I try and connect I either get "generic error" or "Error: d2:CN10lypen.com1:....... extending beyond the edge of the screen. I've tried secure and non-secure - no joy.

I am set up for testing in a private domain (cpi.hq), internal DNS A record for "mail.cpi.hq" and MX record pointing to the server (no DNS complaints during the install).

Where am I going wrong here?

thanks - kurt

Dirk is offline Moderator

Can you check POP access without Zimbra in the mix by trying to telnet into the POP3 server fromt the machine that zimbra is installed on by trying this at the console:
    Code:
    telnet pop3.server.tld 110
    and make sure that you can actually connect.

kurt is offline Member

Default Can't connect to any pop3

Dirk,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can telnet to the pop3 server on port 110. I also installed Thunderbird on the Zimbra server and can succesfully download mail via pop3. I can capture the exchanges between the servers if that would help. BTW this is with any pop3 server, not just a specific one.

Kurt

Dirk is offline Moderator

I cant think of any sensible reason that could cause this. It's just possible that the installation if ZCS is bad, you could try uninstalling it (./install.sh -u) and then trash the /opt/zimbra folder and start again, but I'm not convinced that it would help.

Beyond that I'd nuke the server OS and install everything; it should "just work".

kurt is offline Member

I have tried again, this time with Fedora 11 (iptables stopped, SELinux disabled) and have the identical issue. I am running this as a virtual machine in virtualbox, but everything else seem to be working just fine. Do you know of any issues with virtualizing? I guess I'll try a real PC and see if that solves anything.

Thanks again,

Kurt

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kurt View Post
    I have tried again, this time with Fedora 11 (iptables stopped, SELinux disabled) and have the identical issue. I am running this as a virtual machine in virtualbox, but everything else seem to be working just fine. Do you know of any issues with virtualizing? I guess I'll try a real PC and see if that solves anything.
    There should be no problem running Zimbra in a virtual environment. Have you tried doing a telnet from the Zimbra server to your remote pop mailbox? Have you also checked if the host server for this VM has it's firewall disabled?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

kurt is offline Member

Thanks for the reply. I actually installed it again last night on a hardware server, this time behind a NAT, but otherwise the same. I can send mail, obviously can't receive mail because it's a test setup on a private domain. I can telnet to multiple pop3 and smtp servers form the Zimbra box (CentOS 5.5). Everything seems to be fine except adding an external pop3 or imap account. In every case I get "generic failure" or a big long LDAP-looking error. I went so far as to install Thunderbird on the Zimbra server and verified that I could get either a pop3 or imap connection to a couple of the same external servers (and download mail). Firewall is totally disabled.

I have an internal DNS server with an A record for mail.cpi.hq and an MX record pointing to the FQhostname. During the Zimbra install I always get a notice saying the domain "mail.cpi.hq" doesn't have an MX record with an option to change the domain name. I do that, changing to just "cpi.hq" and the installation proceeds without any further errors or prompts. When the installation completes, the admin console shows all servers up and running. I can create accounts, set passwords, and watch outbound mail travel through the queue. I login into my newly created account "kurt@cpi.hq" and attempt to set up an external account, "kurt@somedomain.com". I enter my FQ email address for the address and account, select pop3 on the default port, type my password, give the account a recognizable name and hit test settings. It just doesn't work. Tonight I'll try setting it up with a different domain on a public IP address (I have public DNS servers - I can temporarily add records for some fake domain).

Any clues appreciated.

thanks,

Kurt

I mystified why you're not able to do this, do you see any errors in the log files when creating the external account? Can you give me access to an account on this server and/or ssh access and I'll try and have a look sometime tomorrow.
    Regards

Bill

kurt is offline Member

I'll set up access for ssh and give you the IP address. You can connect to the admin console and check whatever you need, create/delete accounts, etc. I had been working on this at the office but I moved it to my house because it was consuming too many of my work hours :-)

If you want to send an email to kurtl@olypen.com I'll relay the credentials and address info. It's just a test server with a couple of accounts, so you can't hurt anything or read anybody's email...

Thanks for all the effort, I really appreciate it.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by kurt View Post
    I'll set up access for ssh and give you the IP address. You can connect to the admin console and check whatever you need, create/delete accounts, etc. I had been working on this at the office but I moved it to my house because it was consuming too many of my work hours :-)

If you want to send an email to kurtl@olypen.com I'll relay the credentials and address info. It's just a test server with a couple of accounts, so you can't hurt anything or read anybody's email...
    Just drop me a private message via the forums when you're ready.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information