Thread: Adding a second server to host some accounts

Panchux is offline Senior Member

Default Adding a second server to host some accounts

I have a mail server using Zimbra CS 6.0.8 with 120 accounts. Performance is not good at all (not because of Zimbra but because of slow hdds) and I'm willing to divide accounts on 2 servers.

I wonder if it would be possible to copy all the content stored in /opt/zimbra directory on the main server to the second (and new) server and disable/delete half of the accounts and MTA service.

I can use rsync to copy directories, this is how I'm making backup

Code:
    rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra /target/directory
    The ip address and the hostname of the second server will vary, would it be possible to modify the installation on the as needed?

Thanks in advance,

Pancho

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should look into upgrading your HD subsystem to something like a RAID10 for better performance, a multi-server set-up would also be advisable (check the Documentation - link to Docs at the top of this page). I would, however, think that a single server should be able to cope with 120 users, how about posting details of your hardware specifications, operating system and current HD configuration plus your users usage profile (web UI, fat client, IPA, pop3 etc.)?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill, we have a 2 Cores processor, 8gb of RAM, 1 500GB Seagate SATA 2 hdd for OS and swap and 2 2TB WD (64MB cache) SATA 2 Caviar Green software RAID 1 for /opt directory.
    OS is SUSE Enterprise Linux 11 SP1.

Almost all users are using web ui or Outlook 2007 with IMAP accounts, only a few uses pop3.

I have read some documentation but it was for using Zimbra with another mail server and not a Zimbra to Zimbra set up.

Pancho

Quote Originally Posted by Panchux View Post
    Bill, we have a 2 Cores processor, 8gb of RAM, 1 500GB Seagate SATA 2 hdd for OS and swap and 2 2TB WD (64MB cache) SATA 2 Caviar Green software RAID 1 for /opt directory.
    OS is SUSE Enterprise Linux 11 SP1.

Almost all users are using web ui or Outlook 2007 with IMAP accounts, only a few uses pop3.
    I would have thought should easily cope with 120 users unless they're sending and receiving tons of email per day, what are you mail inbound/outbound numbers like. It's the RAID configuration that killing your performance, as I said earlier you should be looking at upgrading that to a good spec h/w RAID card and fast HD in a RAID 10.

I assume this is a 64bit system?

I have read some documentation but it was for using Zimbra with another mail server and not a Zimbra to Zimbra set up.
    The documentation you mention is (I guess) the Split Domain from the wiki? That does work with two Zimbra server but is probably not appropriate for your environment.

What you're describing is not a multi-server set-up, look at the documentation for a multi-server set-up of the Documentation page for complete details.
    Regards

Bill

Bill, thanks again for your comments about this matter.

You are right, it's a x64 server. I did not mention it was an x64 system since there is not a Zimbra CS for SUSE x86.

Is this the doc I should read for a multi server set up?

Zimbra™ Collaboration Suite

If it is I will read the doc and get back to you with my findings.

Pancho

Today I've found that Outlook 2007 were creating a lot of disk usage. It seems that when it synchronize folders it syncs all of them, not just the one you are working with.

In a Google Zimbra group a lot of people give me some ideas of how to improve performance. One idea was to disable IPV6.

Pancho

Today I've found that Outlook 2007 were creating a lot of disk usage. It seems that when it synchronize folders it syncs all of them, not just the one you are working with.
    You really should look into implementing a better RAID system than the one you're using.

In a Google Zimbra group a lot of people give me some ideas of how to improve performance. One idea was to disable IPV6.
    This was usually a 'solution' for users that were experiencing slow web browsing, I've never heard it suggested that it improve HD speeds or LAN access to your server. I run all my machines with IPV6 enabled and have no problems but it won't do you any harm to disable it but I doubt it will have any effect on your client performance. Have you looked at the performance metrics of your server and specifically the HD subsystem.
    Regards

Bill

Bill, I search a lot how to improve performance and I've found that during installation Zimbra will write some configuration files according to system specs. If you upgrade the system specs you should manually update those configuration files. One of them is my.conf.

I will keep searching since everybody thinks server specs are ok for 120 users (besides the shitty software raid), it must be a configuration problem.

Pancho

Thread Information