Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Migrating Zimbra from VM to Physical Hardware

jwilliams@hometask.com is offline Active Member

Ok,

So I ran through the restore instructions again and can verify that I made an error with resulted in the "An unknown error (mail.NO_SUCH_BLOB) has occurred."

What I did wrong was I forgot to run zmfixperms before running the install script again. I thought it said to run the zmfixperms after.

I can confirm that the Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog directions worked flawlessly when I followed them correctly.

Thanks for all your help,

Justin

VTC
    VTC is offline Senior Member

My only question is, is their a compelling reason why you would want to move away from the virtual enviroment? Provides alot more security for production systems, ie mail. Probably takes a performance hit but i wouldnt think its that much if the VMhost is provided the necessary resources.

jwilliams@hometask.com is offline Active Member

VTC,

our reasoning for moving away from the virtual environment is as follows: We have a very old version of VMware and do not plan on upgrading it. This version does not take snap shots very well and for some reason has a hard time allocating disk space to virtual disks correctly. This is a problem as we recently incorporated another company into our email system and need to maximize the amount of disk space we use. Furthermore, the machine that this was built on is really only beefy enough to handle one system effectively, so we will never be running another VM on it. Although I agree there are many advantages to virtualization and I hope we incorporate infrastructure capable of supporting it in the future, our current infrastructure is not really built to support it. Therefore, the performance increases gained from moving it out of the virtual environment are what we need most right now. The way our system is set up, we really gain no security advantage from being on a virtual machine, so the move should be more of a win than a loss.

Regards,

Justin

VTC
    VTC is offline Senior Member

In your case your right you gain non of the benefits of virtualizing. Case made, good luck in your migration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information