Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing Up Zimbra Open-Source (again:) )

Jools is offline Junior Member

Default Backing Up Zimbra Open-Source (again:) )

Hiya,

I have been running Zimbra open-source version in a trial for 4 months and it is, basically, the biz but I have the following problems:

1) The school I work at can get exchange cals for 5 pounds (about $7.50) via a local authority bulk purchase scheme and we can't afford that so the network edition is way out of our league.

2) I've tried, on many occasions to back up the OSS edition but have had no success. I've search with Google and read and followed the WIKI backup example, made sure that I had the same version and built a second PC, installed the same OS version etc.

I backed up the original zimbra folder onto CD using tar and preserved permissions etc. in the process, but it always seems to keel over, sometimes complaining about LDAP problems and at others just dropping out after the first service starts.

I really do want to go with Zimbra as it's been so reliable so far and I don't miss restarting the exchange box everytime it dies

Any help with detailed procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jools

reza225 is offline Advanced Member

have you tried to use dump to backup your filesystems? It should be able to work on live filesystems. I know it definetly works on live filesystems in BSD, have yet to try it in RHEL though.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Buy the Network Edition if backup is that important.
    Last edited by jholder; 09-07-2006 at 08:26 PM.

andreychek is offline Special Member & Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by Jools
    I backed up the original zimbra folder onto CD using tar and preserved permissions etc. in the process, but it always seems to keel over, sometimes complaining about LDAP problems and at others just dropping out after the first service starts.
    Howdy,

Can you describe the exact process you're using to backup things?

I have had success backing up the OSS version with a simple rsync (which in theory should be no different than tar, I'm just backing up to another computer so rsync was simpler).

All I did is:

* Stop Zimbra
    * Verify everything related to Zimbra is actually stopped
    * Do the rsync
    * Start Zimbra

One of the keys is that Zimbra has to be stopped... otherwise, you won't actually be getting all the data.

The one exception to that may be using LVM snapshots, but I haven't messed with that yet and is the next step :-)

But using the above has worked well for me.
    -Eric

FunkyPenguin is offline Special Member

Thanks to wannabetenor who advised me of rsync, and confirming what andreychek is saying, rsync works. As root run:

Code:
    rsync -av /opt/zimbra destination
    I backup to a local directory, and then shift the backup to removable media. My next step is to turn it into a cron job that runs at stupid o'clock to minimise the service impact.

Default More info

Hi all,

Thanks for the answers so far, I'll detail the process so far.

I've tried a) stopping zimbra (zmcontrol stop) and then using tar -cvzpf backup.tar.gz /opt/zimbra before piping it to cdrecord and dumping it on a disk.

If I then run tar tvzf /media/cdrom/backup.tar.gz I can view the archive and see the permissions are the same as the original.

The second method tried is syncing it to our backup server with:

rsync -rptv /opt/zimbra backupuser@backupserver:/backups/zimbra/backup

and appending the date to the end of the file name.

I just can't seem to restore the file though. I built a clone of the original server, extracted the backed up data onto it and reinstalled zimbra as per the wiki instructions but it refuses to start.

At the end of the day, I'd love to buy the network edition but we've got six figure building work going on that's hit my budget to the point where I've got less to spend on an entire years IT than my city sysadmin mate spent on networked storage hardware in two days. I have emailed sales for pricing so I'll find out soon

Cheers again,

Jools

andreychek is offline Special Member & Volunteer

I just can't seem to restore the file though. I built a clone of the original server, extracted the backed up data onto it and reinstalled zimbra as per the wiki instructions but it refuses to start.
    Hmm.

What exactly isn't starting? What's the error?

In order for Zimbra to start, these things must be true:

* The server name (hostname + domain name) of your clone must be the same as your original (or at least must appear in /etc/hosts, and be associated with an IP that exists on the box)
    * The IP address for your server must have an entry in /etc/hosts
    * The server name must be resolvable via DNS

I had trouble similar to you, in that Zimbra wouldn't start on my backup server during the test I had done.

To fix it, on my backup server, I added the name and IP for to /etc/hosts, and setup a DNS server just for the backup computer to make the name of the original server resolve to it.

After doing that, it started right up.
    -Eric

Default Progress!!

Hiya,

I may have had some success here. What would normally happen is starting ldap would succeed and then after that, it'd drop back to a command prompt. About an hour ago though I tried backing up again, tarring the folder to my USB stick and copying it across and for the first time it started

Amavis wouldn't start but after a reboot it all fired up which has made me a very, very, happy bunny.

Whether I can repeat it or not is another matter but I'll post the results when I some to post.

Cheers,

Jools

LMStone is offline Moderator

Hiya,

I have been running Zimbra open-source version in a trial for 4 months and it is, basically, the biz but I have the following problems:

1) The school I work at can get exchange cals for 5 pounds (about $7.50) via a local authority bulk purchase scheme and we can't afford that so the network edition is way out of our league.

2) I've tried, on many occasions to back up the OSS edition but have had no success. I've search with Google and read and followed the WIKI backup example, made sure that I had the same version and built a second PC, installed the same OS version etc.

I really do want to go with Zimbra as it's been so reliable so far and I don't miss restarting the exchange box everytime it dies

Any help with detailed procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jools

Hi Jools,

If you installed Zimbra in a Xen or VMware virtual machine, you could back up the whole virtual machine. Xen works fine on SuSE 10.1 for us (although we prefer SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) and VMware Server runs on pretty much anything. Both SuSE 10.1 and VMware Server are free.

Under VMware Server, you could just suspend the virtual machine for a few minutes and xcopy (or rsync, or scp) the entire virtual machine to a backup storage device. Easy, reliable, but manual.

Under Xen, we are testing using the XFS file system and LVM. LVM snapshots seem to have some issues still, but we are taking XFS snapshots of live, running machines, backing up the machine and then getting rid of the snapshot. So far, test restores have worked OK. Can be automated, but if you are having trouble getting your arms around rsync issues, you'll have a big learning curve here.

(FWIW, XFS snapshots work like an Exchange database. When you create an XFS snapshot XFS "freezes" the entire file system and "parks" changes elsewhere. This is similar to priv.edb and pub.edb not changing all that often, but having changes to the stores be written to transaction logs. The edb files change when the transaction logs are committed. The "frozen" xfs filesystem beomes unfrozen when you blow away the snapshot and the changes are committed, if that all makes sense...)

Best regards,
    Mark

czaveri is offline Former Zimbran

Hi Mark,

I am really keen on trying out backing up Zimbra from one VM to another using VMware Server. (I have tried with OpenVZ, but again, hot backups is a problem).

This can probably allow setting up fall over in case of any failure.

Are you suggesting some way by which we can have hot backup of a VMware VM?

If yes, can you please post more about it? Or perhaps point to relevant link?

(I am assuming you are talking about the Free version of VMware Server).

Thanks and regards,
    Regards,

Chintan Zaveri
    (Yet another ZIMBRAN!)

"Dhundhne par Bhagwan bhi ..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information