Thread: Has anyone updated to 4.0 on Ubuntu yet?

natrixgli is offline Loyal Member

Default Has anyone updated to 4.0 on Ubuntu yet?

Hi,

Just curious if anyone had updated to ZCS4 on Ubuntu Dapper yet... I'm getting ready to do it, looking for feedback.

I'm thinking of building from source this time instead of using the .debs - any thoughts?

Cheers,

-n8

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Wait a week. Seriously.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

mjfleck2000 is offline Senior Member

Yes, I upgraded to 4.0 a week ago running ubuntu-dapper.

zimbra@zimbra:~$ zmcontrol -v
    Release 4.0.0_GA_303.DEBIAN3.1 DEBIAN3.1 FOSS edition

I put together a better machine than the Athlon 1200 Mhz 512 Ram we were using. No I have a AMD Athlon 64bit 3000, running at 2 Ghz, 2 Gig ram using Raid 1.

No problems during upgrade noted... no NEW problems running Zimbra noted.

I have the problem that I have always had; server statistics does not show any information... Message Count, Message Volume, Anti-spam, Disk, Quota all show "broken link" icons only.

Mike

I have the same problem in V.3.1 running on Dapper. I've learned to live without it. I'm going to follow the above advice and wait a week. (not sure what I'm waiting for, but we shall see, I guess.)

Cheerio,

-n8

Bjoeboo is offline New Member

Default How do you do it?

How do you get Zimbra running on Dapper? Does the .deb package work? I know Debian is derivative of Debian, but seriously This guys tut for Breezy scared me toward open-xchange, though I'd love to get it running in Dapper, anyone have a tut for Ubuntu Dapper?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Not intending to start a 'which linux is best' type of thread but surely the most sensible route would be to pick a distribution that Zimbra will run on rather than wasting time hacking it for another version. Perhaps that's rather naive or just show how new I am to Linux.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

robbyt is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Wait a week. Seriously.
    wooo!
    does this mean zimbra is going to be released for my 2nd favorite debian-based distro???

(my favorite debian-based distro is debian.)

Bjoeboo is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by robbyt
    wooo!
    does this mean zimbra is going to be released for my 2nd favorite debian-based distro???

(my favorite debian-based distro is debian.)

If Zimbra team is releasing an Ubuntu release anytime soon then I'm the Wizard of Oz. They already said there's not enough $$$$$ in it. At least they're honest about it.

But if you really stop to think about it though...
    Since Ubuntu is gaining mad traction as mostly a home user distro...
    and theres actually a lot more home users than business users... Alot of us (myself included) would be willing to buy their little Treo sync thingy or an SSL cert from Zimbra... But not for $500.00!!! Since it probably would be just the household and some friends/family connecting.. they'd have to come up with new price points for home users.. I'd be surprised if they could see the logic though. More likely they'll continue scraping the bottom for the enterprise revenue from RH and Suse. We tried RH AS here where I work and had to dump it for AIX. Where do I work? Can't say but... hint* 2 out of every 3 credit reports pulled in U.S. goes through my systems...

Anywho..
    Zimbra looks like an awesome answer. Demasiado malo usted tiene que ser habla español para conseguirlo. Peor con todo la racionalización que 2/3rds del mundo habla español usted debe cambiar. ¿Cómo

Zimbra has an excellent price point for home users: Open Source Edition.

The main advantages of the Network Edition AFAIK are the ability to perform hot backups, and the ability to use their Outlook Connector. If you're deploying ZImbra for a large enterprise, the cost is easy to justify given the fact that your mail system will make everyone jealous with it's super-coolness. My employees are huge Zimbra fans. Since switching to ZCS, we've been doing this weird thing that I believe is called "communicating"...

Something for home use could easily fit into a small VMWARE Virtual Machine (which is what I use for my family) and you can backup using snapshots, and/or suspend/copy/move, etc. I've restored from snapshots and found it to be pretty reliable on a small system.

The main disadvantage to the OSS release of course is that if it breaks, you must suss out the problem on your own via forums, etc.

On the other hand, from my experiences running Zimbra on a few servers, it doesn't break easiliy. I've had to try pretty hard to break Zimbra, and it's always my fault. And I'm even breaking convention and running it on Ubuntu.

BTW: I did the update on Ubuntu Dapper last week, and all I had to do was modify a few lines in two files since the patches for ZCS 4.0 haven't been created yet. I used the patches for 3.1 as a guidline. It was a piece of cake.

-n8

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoeboo
    If Zimbra team is releasing an Ubuntu release anytime soon then I'm the Wizard of Oz. They already said there's not enough $$$$$ in it. At least they're honest about it.

But if you really stop to think about it though...
    Since Ubuntu is gaining mad traction as mostly a home user distro...
    and theres actually a lot more home users than business users... Alot of us (myself included) would be willing to buy their little Treo sync thingy or an SSL cert from Zimbra... But not for $500.00!!! Since it probably would be just the household and some friends/family connecting.. they'd have to come up with new price points for home users.. I'd be surprised if they could see the logic though. More likely they'll continue scraping the bottom for the enterprise revenue from RH and Suse. We tried RH AS here where I work and had to dump it for AIX. Where do I work? Can't say but... hint* 2 out of every 3 credit reports pulled in U.S. goes through my systems...

Anywho..
    Zimbra looks like an awesome answer. Demasiado malo usted tiene que ser habla español para conseguirlo. Peor con todo la racionalización que 2/3rds del mundo habla español usted debe cambiar. ¿Cómo

KevinH is offline Expert Member

We are working on an official Ubuntu port/build for the OSS release. Still working through some issues but we hope to have it out soon. Just need to balance that with shipping releases/patches to our customer base. Of course in the mean time the Debian build works great with a minor change or two.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information