Thread: use zcs as inhouse pop3 retrieval and relay smtp only

awaisbutt is offline Junior Member

Default use zcs as inhouse pop3 retrieval and relay smtp only

Hi,

I have been fan of zimbra since last two years.. I dont remember that since I installed zimbra I ever had a problem with it...

Let me give u background of my problem so that u can understand.. There is a company, they want me to set them up an inhouse mail server, as currently their mail server is hosted in an ISP.. the reason they want to bring the server inhouse is that their users choke the internet bandwidth while retrieving and sending emails thru the mail server hosted at their isp.. the best and easy solution was to set them up a standalone zimbra and move everything in house.. BUT here is the problem.. They turn off their pcs and servers and office lights and power after 7pm.. so they dont want a standalone email server, but they just want zimbra to retrieve email sform their mail email server.. Plus they also want to zimbra to relay the smtp (outgoing emails)...

could u pls teach me how to set an inhouse server which only retrieves emails periodically and also relays the sending...

Awais...

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Well they are still going to have to send the emails, so they may still choke bandwidth while doing that.

If you want to use ZCS in house, you may just want to have them purchase a Virtual Private Server somewhere and use that - they could either use Webmail, or use Zimbra Desktop to connect to the server to save even more bandwidth since all of the email will be synced real-time and they won't have to deal with POP3/SMTP.

Alternatively, you could just go with a Zimbra hosting provider, and it may be cheaper than a VPS.

But I wouldn't recommend running Zimbra on a site where you are going to need to power the machine down every night.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    Well they are still going to have to send the emails, so they may still choke bandwidth while doing that.

If you want to use ZCS in house, you may just want to have them purchase a Virtual Private Server somewhere and use that - they could either use Webmail, or use Zimbra Desktop to connect to the server to save even more bandwidth since all of the email will be synced real-time and they won't have to deal with POP3/SMTP.

Alternatively, you could just go with a Zimbra hosting provider, and it may be cheaper than a VPS.

But I wouldn't recommend running Zimbra on a site where you are going to need to power the machine down every night.
    Thanks for the reply @ krishopper... I am planning to buy them a separate connection for the zimbra server (which will sync with the pop3 external server)... So this will not choke their existing internet bandwidth and the users will connect trasparently with the inhouse zimbra server due to local intranet.. To be short, could you please tell me that how can i install a zcs (open source) version to just pull pop3 external emails and use the same external smtp via zcs relay function to send and receive emails.. i will only configure this server for the desktop users and the laptop will continue to use our direct email server as I told u that during night times they will power off the complete office..

I would just recommend installing Zimbra and following the installation guide step-by-step, as though you are setting up a standard mail server.

Then you will create all of the accounts, and go into each account and set up an External POP3 account. Zimbra will then poll the accounts on a schedule.

You can then go to the MTA settings in the administration console and put in the SMTP server of the ISP to relay the mail through.
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

to elaborate in easy sense.. I just want a box which when we turn on in the morning, it just pulls all the emails from the external email server and users can connect internally to receive those emails.. And in case of sending emails, they use the same server but at the back end, this inhouse server connects to the external smtp server..

Yep, and the instructions I provided will give you just that.
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    Yep, and the instructions I provided will give you just that.
    thanks so much.. this makes things really easy.. just one last question.. is there any guide to setup pop3 retrieval from the individual accounts.. can i handle this by commandline on the server side?

Thread Information