Hi,

I made a mistake and one of the hard disk drives was totally full today, when zimbra tried to start provocated a problem in ldap and consequently slapd is not starting.

zimbra@myserver:/$ zmcontrol start
Host myserver.domain.com
Starting ldap...Done.
Failed.
Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with Zimbra 6.0.7_2473_FOSS

In the logs /var/log/zimbra.log we can read:

Sep 4 02:19:28 myserver zimbramon[8145]: 8145:info: Starting services initiated by zmcontrol
Sep 4 02:19:28 myserver slapd[8186]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:28 myserver slapd[8186]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:28 myserver slapd[8186]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:28 myserver slapd[8186]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:19:33 myserver slapd[8188]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:33 myserver slapd[8188]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:33 myserver slapd[8188]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:33 myserver slapd[8188]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:19:38 myserver slapd[8190]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:38 myserver slapd[8190]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:38 myserver slapd[8190]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:38 myserver slapd[8190]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:19:43 myserver slapd[8192]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:43 myserver slapd[8192]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:43 myserver slapd[8192]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:43 myserver slapd[8192]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:19:48 myserver slapd[8194]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:48 myserver slapd[8194]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:48 myserver slapd[8194]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:48 myserver slapd[8194]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:19:53 myserver slapd[8196]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:53 myserver slapd[8196]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:53 myserver slapd[8196]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:53 myserver slapd[8196]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:19:59 myserver slapd[8198]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:19:59 myserver slapd[8198]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:19:59 myserver slapd[8198]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:19:59 myserver slapd[8198]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
Sep 4 02:20:02 myserver postfix/postqueue[8221]: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down
Sep 4 02:20:02 myserver zimbramon[8203]: 8203:info: 2010-09-04 02:20:02, QUEUE: 0 0
Sep 4 02:20:04 myserver slapd[8294]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.22 (Jun 10 2010 14:26:03) $ ^Iroot@build25.lab.zimbra.com:/home/build/p4/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap
Sep 4 02:20:04 myserver slapd[8294]: str2entry: entry -1 has no dn
Sep 4 02:20:04 myserver slapd[8294]: slapd stopped.
Sep 4 02:20:04 myserver slapd[8294]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
After the problem I made the next instrucction after checking that slapd was not running
cd /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/hdb/db
/opt/zimbra/bdb-4.7.25.4/bin/dbrecover -v
It solved the connecctions of the db (3) and gave me also info that everything is ok.

Now I am not sure if its better to make an upgrade of the system to end the problem or continue in other way.

Bind, mx and hostname are working properly.