Thread: moving all of a user's mail to a sub-folder of another user

admin1 is offline Loyal Member

Default moving all of a user's mail to a sub-folder of another user

Hi,
    When a user leaves our organization we want to save all of that user's mail in a sub-folder of another user (probably admin's). Then we want to delete that user's (the employee that left) account.

Example: we want to create a sub-folder in admin's mailbox and then import all of User A's mail folders (Inbox, Sent, etc) into admin's just-created sub-folder. We then can delete that account (but still save the mail).

I've looked around the forum and wiki and it seems that there is a way to do this in CLI (zmmailbox or REST or SOAP, etc) but I can't figure out the best way and syntax to do this.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Joe

dalmate is offline Elite Member

If you know admin's password, you can use imapsync to do this work. Please use "imapsync" keyword to search in this forum for more information and know how to use it.

alto is offline Special Member

Assuming you can login to the users account you can export it to a tgz in preferences.

create a new folder in the account you want the email, import it into that folder. In advanced options for the import you can select what you want to import.

I just tested this with the account of someone who recently left and imported to my own mailbox. Forgot to specify email only and interestingly in my calendar I now have a new folder which contains the imported accounts calendar, same with documents, briefcase and address book. Really handy

RevDarkman is offline Senior Member

I too have used the export function but have found a problem later on - unable to delete any imported folders once the original account has been deleted!

Deleted the original account just now and I was able to delete all the imported folders. I deleted them one at a time to see if any would give an error.

can you empty them out of trash?

yes and its gone out of zdesktop as well

what version zimbra did you have that problem with.

I was on 6.04 when ot happened, haven't tried since...

I've just gone back to look at it now, it's just the Drafts, Junk, Trash and Chats folders I can't remove from Trash, I can remove all the messages from within them though... here's the error...

Code:
    method:	FolderActionRequest
    msg:	cannot modify immutable object: 9175
    code:	mail.IMMUTABLE_OBJECT
    detail:	soap:Sender
    trace:	com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException: cannot modify immutable object: 9175 ExceptionId:btpool0-150://smtp.anheddau.co.uk/service/soap/FolderActionRequest:1281621750928:88779de4f0eaaf51 Code:mail.IMMUTABLE_OBJECT Arg:(itemId, IID, "9175") at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException.IMMUTABLE_OBJECT(MailServiceException.java:379) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailItem.delete(MailItem.java:2476) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Folder.deleteSingleFolder(Folder.java:1055) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Folder.delete(Folder.java:1032) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.delete(Mailbox.java:5464) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ItemActionHelper.executeLocal(ItemActionHelper.java:352) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ItemActionHelper.schedule(ItemActionHelper.java:314) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ItemActionHelper.HARD_DELETE(ItemActionHelper.java:100) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ItemAction.handleCommon(ItemAction.java:137) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.FolderAction.handle(FolderAction.java:108) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:420) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:274) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:158) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.java:291) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:212) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:181) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHeaderFilter.java:79) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81) at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:132) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:418) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DebugHandler.handle(DebugHandler.java:77) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:543) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:939) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:755) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:405) at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:409) at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)

Thread Information