Thread: Pop3

farmeed is offline Starter Member

Default Pop3

What are the risks of running POP on the Zimbra server? I have a couple of users that want to be able to POP their email so they can continue to use GMail or Yahoo as their mail client.

I know that Zimbra has a great Webmail interface, but some users have a lot of historical mail and shared files and they just don't want to move.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by farmeed View Post
    What are the risks of running POP on the Zimbra server? I have a couple of users that want to be able to POP their email so they can continue to use GMail or Yahoo as their mail client.
    The 'risk' is that one day they'll tell you they've got their mail from the server and it's been lost , deleted or the PC has burst into flames (or some other disaster) and they've lost it all, they'll want you to recover their email for them. As they have used POP3 the email will no longer exist on your server and you'll have to give them the bad news that it's all gone. My strong recommendation would be to only allow them to use secure IMAP for email access if they're not going to use the Web UI.

Quote Originally Posted by farmeed View Post
    I know that Zimbra has a great Webmail interface, but some users have a lot of historical mail and shared files and they just don't want to move.
    They need to be re-educated.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

farmeed is offline Starter Member

Thanks, I am more concerned with risk at the server level, but your point is well made.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The 'risk' is that one day they'll tell you they've got their mail from the server and it's been lost , deleted or the PC has burst into flames (or some other disaster) and they've lost it all, they'll want you to recover their email for them. As they have used POP3 the email will no longer exist on your server and you'll have to give them the bad news that it's all gone. My strong recommendation would be to only allow them to use secure IMAP for email access if they're not going to use the Web UI.

They need to be re-educated.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If they're insistent on using POP3 then make sure its POP3S and not plain old POP3, and I'd also inform them of the risk of not being able to retrieve their email from you if they 'lose' it somehow.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information