Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Email accounts?

MACscr is offline Special Member

Default Secondary Email accounts?

I have multiple domain names and at least one email account per domain. They are separate accounts and are not aliases. I would like to though be able to manage them all within the same zimbra webmail interface. Ive been told this is possible, but I am not seeing any options to it within the webmail console. I only see the option for adding external email accounts (imap/pop3). Any tips would be extremely appreciated it.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Perhaps you are looking for the Child Mailboxes feature?
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    Perhaps you are looking for the Child Mailboxes feature?
    I dont think so, as that would entail another user. This is only a single user with multiple email boxes. If i created a primary account and 4 "child accounts" (which that name doesnt make sense when you consider how its shared, not a child account). Anyway, that would waste 4 extra Zimbra licenses when only 1 should be needed since its only 1 user.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Well, in Zimbra, a "mailbox" requires a license. So your only option really is to create additional folders and use filters to file the items into them as needed.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    Well, in Zimbra, a "mailbox" requires a license. So your only option really is to create additional folders and use filters to file the items into them as needed.
    Are you kidding me? Thats nuts. I have always been told that the licensing was per user and not per mailbox. Thats ridiculous. I might have just wasted a lot of time getting all of this setup for nothing.

j2b
    j2b is offline Special Member

But you initially stated, that these are separate accounts and not email aliases. So Child mailboxes feature could be viable anyway, as your licencing issues are out of scope. I think, Krishopper mistyped info on "mailbox" licence. Each account has a separate mailobx (one), which can or can not be used, thus leading to one mailbox per user. If all other accounts are not on ZCS server, you can freely use IMAP/POP External, by this overcoming "Sent on behalf of" function, which is implemented in Child accounts solution, and send emails as from exact external account.

These would not be external email addresses, they would be ones that would need to be on the zimbra server. BTW, on the subject of the external accounts, does zimbra just act as webmail then for those accounts, or does it actually download the email into the main mailbox? (aka, they could then be viewed from desktop clients as well since its being downloaded into the main account)

j2b
    j2b is offline Special Member

That is OK. Even if your accounts are on the same ZCS server, you can reach them via External account settings (IMAP or POP as you prefer). As to my understanding, webmail is actualy very much like regular E-mail software, like Oulook, Thunderbird, etc. Only difference is that not in every case such software downloads files to the server. Usually it works on IMAP protocol, and then, depending on webmail system, stores some data via files or db records. ZCS Web interface is more like regular e-mail client, and if you configure external account via imap, it works like it. In POP configuration, you can choose, whether to remove messages from original server after downloading, or not. The only item should be planned or specific attention should be taken is concerning Sent folder synchronization via IMAP, if you use multiple accounts at the same time within one ZCS account.

An example of why i might want a separate email account, but still be able to manage it from within the same zimbra user account is that I have an email address that i use just for mailing lists. If I set it up as an alias, i would be getting notifications all the time on my phone for all those emails. I also have two other company domains/email accounts that I would prefer to run through zimbra as well.

Its really to bad they dont allow the mixture of open source and NE. That way i could just use open source for my very simple accounts. I know they got standard, but it would still be a waste of money. =/

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    Are you kidding me? Thats nuts. I have always been told that the licensing was per user and not per mailbox. Thats ridiculous. I might have just wasted a lot of time getting all of this setup for nothing.
    What's your suggestion for figuring out whether two mailboxes are really owned by one or two users?

An example of why i might want a separate email account, but still be able to manage it from within the same zimbra user account is that I have an email address that i use just for mailing lists. If I set it up as an alias, i would be getting notifications all the time on my phone for all those emails.
    Filters! They run on the server, so you don't have to worry about those messages making it to your phone if you don't want to.

I also have two other company domains/email accounts that I would prefer to run through zimbra as well.
    I can understand this one, but putting your personal stuff on work equipment or vice versa is a dangerous proposition.. *However* we run into the same problem as the first one.. How do I know that user@company1.com is the same person as user@company2.com?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information