Thread: Oddness with filters...

sysadmindave is offline Junior Member

Default Oddness with filters...

We are in the midst of a company-wide rollout of 3.1.4GA Network Edition. We migrated a user today that needs to use a filter to sort mail to an alias into a folder on delivery. The odd part is this- when the web client is open, it works perfectly, but if she accesses the system through Outlook (her preferred choice), the messages land in her main inbox and the filter is NOT applied. (?!)

If she then opens the web client- the filter runs and sorts the messages into the proper folder and then Outlook syncs the folder and all is well.

Ok, so what's going on here- I thought that filters were run on delivery processing, and not in the web client code???

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default server-side filters

Filters are run server-side. Are you sure that this isn't just a coincidence?

(Filters are only applied to mail received via LMTP, however. Messages added directly to the mailbox, e.g. by using Outlook to copy messages from a remote POP account, avoid the filter mechanism.)
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Yes, I understand that's what's SUPPOSED to be happening, but it looks like it's not, or perhaps it's broken in a non-obvious way.

We repeated this several times with this user's mailbox with test messages we generated here- perhaps this is specific to our setup? We run all messages through our existing internet-facing Exim SMTP system, processing aliases there via database lookup, then the messages are delivered into the Zimbra machine via SMTP if the alias says so. So... The messages in question have a 'To:' header that reads the alias address, but end up with an 'Envelope To:' header to the user's box in Zimbra. The intent was to have the user's aliased mail automatically sent to a folder for later inspection (it's an HR address from our website).

For today, I've changed the alias address back to the individual Cyrus mailbox she used to use, and set up shared IMAP access to it from Outlook. I'd really like to understand what's up here though- any logs I can check to see what Zimbra thinks it's doing? It wasn't obvious from the main Zimbra log.

anand is offline Zimbra Employee

is her outlook using ZCO? (just checking)
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Yes, she's set up with ZCO. I haven't repeated the experiment since we rolled her back to the other IMAP box for this particular address, although she is still using ZCO for her regular mail.

Thread Information