Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Network password setting - Outlook

getridoff is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] Network password setting - Outlook

Hi there to all Zimbra Guru's,

I have configured my zimbra server with public IP address, and the A record and DNS is configured well. I can send and receive emails from webmail without any problems or issue to all domains to and flow. But now when i want to configure the Outlook 2003/2007 to use Zimbra pop3 settings, im having some issue here. Everytime i setup the outlook for pop3 setting, when i click the Test message in the Outlook i got this error :

log on into incoming mail server (pop3) : outlook could not connect to the incomin pop3 mail server because the server did not accept your username or password

Could someone highlight me anything that im missing here or wrongly configured please ?

Thank you

Regards,
    Muthu

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by getridoff View Post
    log on into incoming mail server (pop3) : outlook could not connect to the incomin pop3 mail server because the server did not accept your username or password
    That error would seem to be self explanatory.

Could someone highlight me anything that im missing here or wrongly configured please ?
    You haven't actually told us what is configured on your server for access to POP3.

BTW, you should not use pop3 to connect to a server on a public IP address you should use a secure connection with POP3S.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That error would seem to be self explanatory.

You haven't actually told us what is configured on your server for access to POP3.

BTW, you should not use pop3 to connect to a server on a public IP address you should use a secure connection with POP3S.

Hi again,

I have checked the username and the password. It is working via webmail and i can send and receive emails with that username and password. It's only appears error when i configured in Outlook, that's why im wondering why is that.

BTW, sorry for my 1st posting not giving you much about my configuration. Below is my zimbra server configuration for your reference :

Server settings
    =================

MTA
    ========
    Webmail MTA hostname --> themindgarden.com
    Webmail MTA port --> 25
    Webmail MTA timeout --> 60
    Relay MTA for external delivery --> empty
    MTA trusted network --> 127.0.0.1/32 202.42.100.12 (i have changed the public IP due to security reason)
    enable dns lookup --> yes

POP
    =====
    Enable pop3 service --> yes
    pop3 port number --> 110
    address --> empty
    Advertised name --> empty
    number of threads --> 100
    enable ssl for pop3 service --> no
    enable clear text login --> yes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Global settings
    =================

MTA
    =====
    Enable authentication --> yes
    TLS authentication only --> no
    Webmail MTA hostname --> localhost
    Webmail MTA port --> 25
    MTA trusted network --> empty

Protocol checks
    ==============
    hostname in greeting violates RFC (reject_invalid_hostname) --> unchecked
    client must greet with fully qualified hostname (reject_non_fqdn_hostname) --> unchecked
    sender address must be fully qualified (reject_non_fqdn_sender) --> unchecked

PLease highlight me for any erros or mistakes that i have done with the configurations.

Thank you very much.

regards,
    Muthu

MTA
    ========
    Webmail MTA hostname --> themindgarden.com
    Webmail MTA port --> 25
    Webmail MTA timeout --> 60
    MTA trusted network --> 127.0.0.1/32 202.42.100.12 (i have changed the public IP due to security reason)
    Let's start with the Webmail MTA hostname. Why do you have that entry in there? According to your DNS records it points to a different IP address than your MX records does, is there any reason for that and do you have multiple mail servers?

POP
    =====
    Enable pop3 service --> yes
    pop3 port number --> 110
    address --> empty
    Advertised name --> empty
    number of threads --> 100
    enable ssl for pop3 service --> no
    enable clear text login --> yes
    It's really not a good idea (i.e. it's a highly insecure setup) to be using POP3 and with Clear Text login enabled on a Public IP, you should set the clear text login to no and "Enable SSL for POP3 service".

Global settings
    =================

MTA
    =====
    Enable authentication --> yes
    TLS authentication only --> no
    Webmail MTA hostname --> localhost
    Webmail MTA port --> 25
    MTA trusted network --> empty
    You shouldn't need the "Webmail MTA hostname" set at all in either the Global Settings or the Server settings, if they are enabled then the server setting will override the Global. You should also enable "TLS Authentication only" to ensure your external clients are secure.

Make those changes and try connecting again using the correct ports for POP3 or IMAP.

I would strongly recommend that you use IMAP instead of POP3 for client connections, they'll have a much better experience with that.
    Regards

Bill

Let's start with the Webmail MTA hostname. Why do you have that entry in there? According to your DNS records it points to a different IP address than your MX records does, is there any reason for that and do you have multiple mail servers?

It's really not a good idea (i.e. it's a highly insecure setup) to be using POP3 and with Clear Text login enabled on a Public IP, you should set the clear text login to no and "Enable SSL for POP3 service".

You shouldn't need the "Webmail MTA hostname" set at all in either the Global Settings or the Server settings, if they are enabled then the server setting will override the Global. You should also enable "TLS Authentication only" to ensure your external clients are secure.

Make those changes and try connecting again using the correct ports for POP3 or IMAP.

I would strongly recommend that you use IMAP instead of POP3 for client connections, they'll have a much better experience with that.

Hi Phoenix,

If im using Public IP for configuring Zimbra server, do i still need to do Split DNS, or creating db.mydomain.com as been explained in Split DNS setup ?

By the way I will change the webmail MTA hostname and post it to you later.

Thanks Phoenix..

Hi phoenix,

I have changed the webmail mta hostname, and the re-confirm and opens the correct port as per your advice. And after a quick re-start Im able to use the pop3 receiving the emails as well.

There is another function also i have discovered, why i cant receive emails using pop3. When creating new user, i accidently remove the feature of the user's pop3, which makes their accounts unable to receive emails and setup pop3 with Outlook. I got this idea after i checked thru the mail log, which expose the missing feature for that certain users. So what i do is, log back into admin account, edit that certain users account and ticked the Pop3 enable feature for that user, and got receive emails setup in Outlook.

Im very sorry to say that this is purely my mistake as well, as i did not checked the mail logs earlier. If i did that, i wont be troubling you here ..hope you dont mad at me, as im still in learning phase of zimbra. Yesterday, with your guidance, i have successfully runs the zimbra mail server for the first time in our production line.

But i have a question and doubt which still playing in my mind. I have successfully deployed Split DNS Zimbra server and used to its settings, and there's a lot of guidance about how to do it in this forum. But if i wanna use the Public IP as Zimbra server IP, do i still need to follow the Split DNS settings also, or i can ignore it? The Public IP Zimbra server sits outside of my firewall box. Perhaps you can input any of your opinion here on how to setup this.

Thank you phoenix because your always here to help us out!

Zimbra rocks!

Regards,
    Muthu

I have changed the webmail mta hostname, and the re-confirm and opens the correct port as per your advice. And after a quick re-start Im able to use the pop3 receiving the emails as well.
    Have you also changed it to use a secure connection?

But i have a question and doubt which still playing in my mind. I have successfully deployed Split DNS Zimbra server and used to its settings, and there's a lot of guidance about how to do it in this forum. But if i wanna use the Public IP as Zimbra server IP, do i still need to follow the Split DNS settings also, or i can ignore it? The Public IP Zimbra server sits outside of my firewall box. Perhaps you can input any of your opinion here on how to setup this.
    Is this server behind a NAT router or Firewall and is it on a private LAN IP?
    Regards

Bill

Have you also changed it to use a secure connection?
    Hi phoenix,

yes i have changed it to use the secure connection. And it's working very very good!
    Is this server behind a NAT router or Firewall and is it on a private LAN IP?
    Hi phoenix,

This server is not behind a NAT router or Firewall. And it is purely using a Public IP. Still i need to use the SPLIT DNS guidance to deply Zimbra server, even though it is not behind the NAT router or Firewall?

This server is not behind a NAT router or Firewall. And it is purely using a Public IP. Still i need to use the SPLIT DNS guidance to deply Zimbra server, even though it is not behind the NAT router or Firewall?
    You don't need Split DNS unless you're behind a NAT router or Firewall so the answer in your case would be no, you don't need it. As your server is on a Public IP then I must again strongly urge you to set the POP & IMAP ports to only use a secure connection and also require TLS otherwise any client connecting to your server is at risk of having their data & password 'sniffed' - it is a serious security risk.
    Regards

Bill

You don't need Split DNS unless you're behind a NAT router or Firewall so the answer in your case would be no, you don't need it. As your server is on a Public IP then I must again strongly urge you to set the POP & IMAP ports to only use a secure connection and also require TLS otherwise any client connecting to your server is at risk of having their data & password 'sniffed' - it is a serious security risk.
    HI phoenix,

Wow,dat was instant reply! ur awesome!..ok i got u phoenix..currently im running my zimbra server,with public IP in pop3 and smtp. is there will be any issue for zimbra server on my site if i change it to use pop3 ssl and imap ssl ? and i need to chnage my client settings to use pop3 ssl and imap, am i rite ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information